UX Research Manager
Department: Product Management
MailChimp is the world’s largest marketing automation platform. Millions of businesses use MailChimp to design and send a billion emails a day. We empower small businesses with a suite of powerful and easy-to-use email, marketing automation, and analytics tools that integrate with hundreds of popular applications and services.
The MailChimp Research team helps the company understand the people we're designing for, what motivates them, and how our product fits into their lifestyles and workflows. We’re organized into four core areas of specialization—Market Insights, UX Research, New Product Research, and Data Research. And we use surveys, interviews, field studies, usability evaluation, data analytics, and other approaches to study small businesses, MailChimp products, and the marketplace. Our research plays a vital role in prioritizing product decisions, guiding feature development, and designing the customer experience.
We’re looking for a UX Research Manager to lead a group of UX Researchers that work with cross-functional product teams as they plan, design, build, deploy, and refine MailChimp products and features.
The ideal candidate can demonstrate strong competencies in user and product research methods, as well as experience leading a team of researchers. They can balance competing priorities, adjust to shifting timelines, and synthesize large amounts of information into actionable insights—and they should be able to guide their team to do the same. They must be a highly skilled communicator, can work diplomatically across teams, and enjoy teaching and mentoring.
- Manage, mentor, and develop the abilities of a team of 5-8 UX Researchers who are embedded in cross-functional product teams.
- Coordinate with the Research Director and a second UX Research Manager to set UX Research team priorities and maintain the flow of research projects.
- Guide researchers on the design and execution of qualitative, light quantitative, and mixed-methods research studies (including but not limited to interviews, surveys, concept testing, usability studies, and card sorting).
- Review and provide feedback on research project plans and research deliverables
- Ensure researchers are working effectively with their respective product teams and Product Managers
- Support the growth, development, and collaboration of the larger MailChimp Research team (which, in addition to the UX Research team, includes Market Insights, New Product, and Data Research).
- Partner effectively with peer managers in other departments—such as Design, Product Marketing, Engineering, and Support
- Strong background as a researcher, with expertise in a wide range of generative and evaluative research methods
- Prior experience managing researchers
- Experience working in software (bonus points for experience working at a company that serves small-to-medium size businesses)
- Able to maintain methodological rigor, while staying flexible and adjusting to changing timelines or priorities.
- Strong collaboration skills—our researchers work with colleagues from all corners of the MailChimp universe (primarily Product Management, Design, Marketing, and Development)
- Outstanding communicator—in-person and in writing. Can synthesize insights from multiple sources and persuasively communicate findings.
- Must find mentoring rewarding and be dedicated to helping a team develop their research skills and progress in their careers.
- Must be able to synthesize and translate research findings into actions and recommendations, while considering customer needs, company strategy, and product goals
- Humble, diplomatic, and able to collaborate
- Experience managing remote employees is a plus
- International research experience is a plus
- This position is full-time in our Atlanta HQ
MailChimp is a founder-owned, highly profitable, and private company. We offer our 700+ employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed.
We love our hometown and support sustainable urban renewal. Our headquarters is in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Atlanta Beltline. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
MailChimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.