Software Engineer, Platform (Oakland)
MailChimp is the world’s largest marketing automation platform. Millions of businesses use MailChimp to design and send a billion emails a day. We empower small businesses with a suite of powerful and easy-to-use email, marketing automation, and analytics tools that integrate with hundreds of popular applications and services.
We’re looking for a software engineer with an interest in systems to join our Platform team. The Platform team provides the infrastructure and tooling that powers the future of application development and operation here at MailChimp.
At MailChimp, we value learning, collaboration and clarity. You’ll find success here if you enjoy writing code, but you're aware that your job isn't only about shipping: you are a welcoming contributor that knows how to communicate with your team in order to provide great software.
What you'll do:
- Build software for the next generation of MailChimp's infrastructure using Go, Kubernetes and PHP
- Share expertise with teammates through code reviews, office hours, tech talks, and other avenues
- Provide mentorship for fellow team members
- Research, propose, and promote new approaches to work, new tools, and new standards for the team
- Support other engineering teams that are adopting this new infrastructure
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have experience in backend/infrastructure engineering
- You have strong communication and teamwork skills - this team is partially distributed so effective written communication is key
- You have a high standard of quality for your work and appreciate coding standards, development processes and best practices
- You embrace and demonstrate our values: humility, creativity, and independence
- You’re open to traveling to Atlanta for a week once a quarter or so
- You like to experiment: you’re comfortable with trying things, occasionally failing, and trying something else
We're open to a variety of experience for this role, from relatively new to quite senior. You will, though, need a minimum of 2 years experience in professional software engineering in order to find success in the role.
Pluses, but not requirements, include:
- You’re happy straddling the line between dev and ops, adding value to both
- Experience in container management (like Kubernetes) or distributed systems
- Experience in Go
If you are excited about the role, even if these pluses don’t match your experience, you are encouraged to apply!
MailChimp is a founder-owned, highly profitable, and private company. We love Oakland and are happy to have a small but growing office right next to Lake Merritt, a quick two blocks from the 19th St. Oakland BART stop. The heart of Uptown Oakland offers a ton of great restaurants and activities, including the Great Western Power Company climbing gym, Fairyland for the kiddos, and the always-awesome Friday nights at the Oakland Museum of California.
Our headquarters are in the heart of Atlanta in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Beltline. We offer extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed.
MailChimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.