Systems Engineer, Services (Brooklyn)
MailChimp is the world’s largest marketing automation platform. Millions of businesses use MailChimp to design and send a billion emails a day. We empower small businesses with a suite of powerful and easy-to-use email, marketing automation, and analytics tools that integrate with hundreds of popular applications and services.
MailChimp’s Operations team is responsible for infrastructure that makes that possible. Team members work closely with our Development, Marketing, and Data Research teams to provide the infrastructure needed to move the company and our products forward. We take a pragmatic and practical approach to our stacks; we use tried and tested components and build our own logic and complexity on top of well understood building blocks. We are growing fast and need people who can help advance our infrastructure to solve today’s needs and tomorrow’s problems.
Are you seeking a dynamic position in operations? Do you have a unique set of skills in automating operational tasks? We are seeking a motivated individual who will be part of the Systems Engineering team with a focus on maintaining and improving our core infrastructure that includes operating systems, cloud computing, containers, and security. You should have a history of production and operational Linux experience with a particular focus on operating systems and network services.
- Automate highly available services on servers and containers in data centers and cloud environments
- Use a pragmatic approach in implementing, documenting, developing, and supporting technology
- Implement standards, develop, and create policy for services
- Ensure prudent monitoring, integrity and security of infrastructure
- Participate in after-hours, on-call rotation for general and production outages
- Collaborate with developers and engineers to solve complex system issues
- Write and use scripts/software to integrate systems and services
- Skilled in Linux system administration (e.g. centos/rhel/ubuntu)
- Skilled in scripting and coding (e.g. python, bash, php, go, ruby, or java)
- System-level troubleshooting (e.g. logs, top, strace, iostat, netstat, etc.)
- Building systems with configuration management tools (e.g. puppet, chef)
- Configuring and monitoring network services (e.g. apache/nginx, dns, dhcp, ntp)
- Experience with container management technologies (e.g. docker, kubernetes, etc.)
Bonus points for
- Working with large-scale Linux environments (100+ or 1000+ servers)
- Experience working in cloud environments (e.g. AWS, Google)
- Managing software repository technologies (e.g. pulp, artifactory)
- Application performance tuning at scale
MailChimp is a founder-owned, highly profitable, and private company. We love Brooklyn and are happy to have a small but growing office with sunlight and views in the heart of Brooklyn Heights. We're centrally located at Cadman Plaza/Borough Hall, a short walk to the Brooklyn Promenade and within a few blocks of 9 subway lines (2, 3, 4, 5, N, A, C, F and R lines).
Our headquarters is in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Atlanta Beltline. We offer extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed.
If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
MailChimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.