Senior Software Engineer (Data Systems) (Brooklyn)
MailChimp is the world’s largest marketing automation platform. Millions of businesses use MailChimp to design and send a billion emails a day. We empower small businesses with a suite of powerful and easy-to-use email, marketing automation, and analytics tools that integrate with hundreds of popular applications and services.
The Data Systems team builds systems that process the streams of data created by MailChimp’s millions of users. We work closely with MailChimp’s Development and Data Science teams to help them access and manage this high-volume, high-velocity data.
We're looking for a Data Engineer to join our ranks. This role sits at the nexus of MailChimp's Development, Operations, and Data Science teams, bridging the gap between data storage and data analysis by creating systems to facilitate engineers' access to the data they need. Are you a self-directed, experienced engineer who enjoys the challenge of balancing performance and complexity inherent in distributed systems and data processing at large scale? If so, read on!
Our ideal candidate will combine deep technical skills with a strong desire to support the rest of the organization with a data infrastructure that meets their needs. We are looking for an enthusiastic and effective collaborator, eager to work across the organization.
What you’ll do
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet business requirements
- Design, build, and maintain high quality data pipelines
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and big data technologies
- Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency, and other key business performance metrics
- Create data tools for analytics and data science team members that assist them in building and optimizing our products and services
- Champion appropriate data governance, security, privacy, quality, and retention policies within the organization
- Help scope, estimate, and prioritize work in an environment of open discussion
We’d love to hear from you if...
- You enjoy working independently with appropriate support
- Are passionate about building systems at scale and eager to track developments in your field
- Have experience scaling and optimizing schemas and performance tuning SQL and ETL pipelines
- Are proficient in Java, Scala, Python, and/or PHP
- Have strong operational and development understanding of at least one RDBMS (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.)
- Have experience working with other data processing systems, such as Hadoop, Elasticsearch, etc.
- Have worked with Apache Kafka, and/or experience with Spark, Storm, or similar streaming platforms
- Bonus points for experience with Google Cloud Platform or BigQuery
MailChimp is a founder-owned, highly profitable, and private company. We love Brooklyn and are happy to have a small but growing office with sunlight and views in the heart of Brooklyn Heights. We're centrally located at Cadman Plaza/Borough Hall, a short walk to the Brooklyn Promenade and within a few blocks of 9 subway lines (2, 3, 4, 5, N, A, C, F and R lines).
Our headquarters is in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Atlanta Beltline. We offer extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed.
If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
MailChimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.