Senior Software Engineer (Abuse Prevention)
MailChimp is the world’s largest marketing automation platform. Millions of businesses use MailChimp to design and send a billion emails a day. We empower small businesses with a suite of powerful and easy-to-use email, marketing automation, and analytics tools that integrate with hundreds of popular applications and services.
The Abuse Prevention team consists of engineers and analysts who work to protect MailChimp’s reputation, systems, revenue streams, and users (and their audiences) by programmatically enforcing our Terms of Service and preventing abuse of our platform. We build and maintain a comprehensive set of software products to achieve this mission, and we’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join the team. We have a PHP codebase like no other, and our application stack includes Linux, MySQL, Postgres, Puppet, Elasticsearch, Redis, Kafka, Go, Docker, Kubernetes, and GCP. We use a variety of hosting services around the world in AWS as well as in MailChimp's own Colocation facilities.
You are a self-directed, experienced programmer who enjoys the trade-offs and complexities involved in implementing new features in a mature codebase as well as designing and building new systems and services. You enjoy putting your head down and writing code, but you're aware that your job isn't done when that code gets deployed: you also enjoy working with other teams across the organization to ensure MailChimp’s overall needs are met and to keep applications healthy. You prefer using proven technologies to solve interesting new problems, but you're aware that favoring older technologies doesn't imply letting your skillset stagnate. You've broken production environments—and then buckled down and fixed them. You're comfortable using git in a continuous Integration environment, and you're not afraid to dig into infrastructure and configuration management tools.
We allow for flexible hours and some telecommute options, but you should be in the Atlanta office most days. We’re also willing to help you with relocation. We don’t care about pedigree or what languages or stacks you've worked in, we're just looking for great engineers.
What you'll do:
- Work with many teams across the organization to understand problems and trends and to collaborate on solutions (e.g., Customer Support & Compliance, Legal, Security, Data Science, Delivery) - and set the bar for effective engagement of this nature
- Build and maintain scalable, efficient systems to effectively prevent abuse/misuse of the MailChimp application, help ensure user accounts are protected, and provide tools and utilities for related support functions
- Set technical direction for and own the design and implementation of the systems that you’ll help build and maintain
- Provide mentorship for and share expertise with teammates through code reviews, contribution to documentation libraries, tech talks, and other avenues
- Research and propose new approaches to work, new tools, and new best practices for the team
- Work with immediate and extended team members to respond to unplanned incidents and production needs
- Help lead and manage the team’s workflows and assist with administration/configuration of related tools and processes
- Participate in an on call rotation
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have 5+ years experience in a software development environment, preferably building distributed server products
- You have experience designing and implementing application architectures and code that are highly scalable, available, intelligent, and performant
- You have a portfolio of code you've written and systems you've designed
- You ensure quality by performing thorough testing and leveraging peer reviews for your work and the work of others
- You help scope, estimate, and prioritize work
- You value sharing knowledge and document work diligently
- You are an excellent communicator and leverage multiple approaches depending on audience to effectively deliver messages
- You can lead meetings, projects, and initiatives - keep them on track, deliver on commitments, and meet objectives
- You have an ability to work independently, requiring minimal supervision
- You are passionate for combating abuse and thirst for learning new ways to deliver great software products
- You embrace and demonstrate our values: humility, creativity, and independence
MailChimp is a founder-owned, highly profitable, and private company located in the heart of Atlanta. We offer our 800+ employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed.
We love our hometown and support sustainable urban renewal. Our headquarters is in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Atlanta Beltline. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
MailChimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.