Senior Manager, Data Insights
Department: Product Management
MailChimp is the world’s largest marketing automation platform. Millions of businesses use MailChimp to design and send a billion emails a day. We empower small businesses with a suite of powerful and easy-to-use email, marketing automation, and analytics tools that integrate with hundreds of popular applications and services.
The MailChimp Research team helps the company understand the small businesses we're designing for, what motivates them, and where our apps fit into their lifestyles and workflows. We’re organized into three core specializations—Market Insights, UX/Product Research, and Data Research. Our research plays a vital role in prioritizing product decisions, guiding feature development, and designing the customer experience.
As a Senior Manager, Data Insights you’ll lead our Data Research team, which is tasked with making meaning from the large amounts of customer and transactional data, guiding quantitative research efforts, and providing strategic insights that help inform both business and product decisions. This requires the team to balance answering questions for ongoing teams against more proactive work—like uncovering insights through exploratory analysis or advanced statistical inference.
Your role is part manager (you’ll grow and develop a team) part strategist (colleagues will look to you for insights and decisive direction, backed by quantitative research and analytics), and part research advocate (you’ll be sharing and promoting your team’s work around the organization).
- Prioritize, manage, and support the research efforts of the Data Research team as they conduct research with MailChimp user and transactional data and connect those efforts to the MailChimp business and customer needs.
- Provide context and clarity for your team (through the lens of customer needs and business goals), so they can work effectively with their business partners.
- Establish and analyze business metrics and KPIs (such as growth, engagement, profitability drivers, and user feedback) to inform strategy and key business decisions.
- Proactively drive conversations from a data-informed perspective across the Research team and with peers in Product Management, Design, Marketing, and Support.
- Collaborate with qualitative research counterparts, the Growth team, Product Management, Engineering, and data analyst groups across the organization.
- Quickly and adeptly synthesize and translate research findings into clear insights, actions, and recommendations—and coach direct reports to do the same.
- Provide a leading voice in the ongoing work across the company to establish and maintain consistent data definitions and data/analytics strategy.
- Maintain understanding of the range of available or potentially available data sources across the company—while you may not be actively working with the data yourself, at minimum you’ll need a working knowledge of how data is stored, retrieved and used.
- Grow the Data Research team—both through hiring and supporting and developing the individuals on your team by providing consistent feedback, growth opportunities, and continuing education for quantitative research and analysis best practices.
- Successful track record of leading large and small-scale technical projects that inform business and/or product decisions
- Experience working in a business environment, preferably a software company
- Experience managing, growing, and developing a team of research analysts and quantitative researchers, with a dedication to helping direct reports develop their research skills and progress in their careers.
- Ability to work and communicate with non-technical colleagues to analyze data and solve problems
- Balancing methodological rigor and consistent best practices with flexibility and pragmatism
- Strong collaboration skills and open to the ideas of others
- Experience setting up and working with a range of analytics tools and services
- Confidence working with ambiguity, unknown variables, and missing context (and find ways to bridge those gaps, when necessary)
- Proven track record of creating buy-in for ideas and initiatives
- Working knowledge of predictive and attribution modeling, managing large data sets, and using data science tools including SQL, R, Python, and command line data manipulation.
MailChimp is a founder-owned, highly profitable, and private company located in the heart of Atlanta. We offer our 800+ employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed.
We love our hometown and support sustainable urban renewal. Our headquarters is in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Atlanta Beltline. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
MailChimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.