Senior Researcher, Customer Insights
Department: Product Management
MailChimp is the world’s largest marketing automation platform. Millions of businesses use MailChimp to design and send a billion emails a day. We empower small businesses with a suite of powerful and easy-to-use email, marketing automation, and analytics tools that integrate with hundreds of popular applications and services.
Our Research team helps the company understand the people we’re designing for, what motivates them, and where our apps fit into their lifestyles and workflows. We use surveys, interviews, onsite visits, usability tests, and other methods to study people, products, and the marketplace to understand the context in which MailChimp lives. Our research plays a vital role in prioritizing product decisions, guiding feature development, and designing the customer experience.
We’re looking for an experienced Customer Insights Strategist to join our team. In this role you will be primarily focused on developing a deep understanding of our core small business audience–their behaviors and workflows, the context in which they work, their attitudes and perceptions, their challenges and successes. You listen hard, observe everything, and can skillfully synthesize large amounts of information into actionable insights. You should be an experienced researcher who’s comfortable working solo, taking lead on small research project teams, and collaborating with MailChimp’s Product Management, Marketing, and Design teams, among other departments. You must be a highly skilled communicator—an engaging interviewer, excellent writer, and diplomatic colleague.
- Be an expert on our customers and prospective customers and advocate for their needs
- Lead large scale research projects like customer segmentation, longitudinal, and journey mapping research – independently or in collaboration with 1-2 other researchers
- Translate research needs into project plans, set scope, define strategy, and use the appropriate methods (qualitative, quantitative, or both)
- Identify customer needs and opportunities to help inform MailChimp’s product roadmap
- Work with Market Insights and Data researchers, Product Management, and Marketing to inform and assess brand and product positioning and market fit
- Direct project analysis, guide the final deliverable, and take responsibility for deadlines
- Communicate research insights and recommendations across departments and up to leadership clearly, effectively, and diplomatically (through reports, presentations, casual conversations, cross-functional team meetings, internal newsletters, emails, etc.)
- Produce research deliverables (reports, presentation decks, etc.) that require minimal editing before they’re ready to share
- Extensive experience leading and executing primary research projects
- Proficiency in designing surveys, writing discussion guides, moderating interviews, analyzing data, translating findings into recommendations, and presenting work
- Experience with segmentation, longitudinal research, and customer journey mapping
- Experience managing 3rd party vendors (recruiting, full service agencies, etc.)
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong cross-team collaboration skills
- Willingness to travel up to 6 times a year, including internationally
- Bonus Points:
- Experience conducting research for software companies
- Experience/knowledge of digital marketing
- International research experience
MailChimp is a founder-owned, highly profitable, and private company located in the heart of Atlanta. We offer our 800+ employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed.
We love our hometown and support sustainable urban renewal. Our headquarters is in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Atlanta Beltline. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
MailChimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.