Software Engineer, Search (Oakland)
MailChimp is the world’s largest marketing automation platform. Millions of businesses use MailChimp to design and send a billion emails a day. We empower small businesses with a suite of powerful and easy-to-use email, marketing automation, and analytics tools that integrate with hundreds of popular applications and services. MailChimp is a founder-owned, highly profitable, and private company.
MailChimp's Search and Segmentation team helps our customers to better understand their own customers by building highly customizable, comprehensive targeting tools for marketing campaigns. We also provide search products to internal customers, including MailChimp's world-class Compliance and Support teams. At the core of our mission is the pursuit of high-performing, full-featured search solutions that hold up at scale.
As a Search Engineer, your duties will include:
- Contribute to the migration of our existing MySQL-based backend to a new backend powered by Elasticsearch
- Help take this new infrastructure to production and gradually expand it to our full customer base
- Work with teams across the organization (e.g., Engineering, Research and Marketing) to continually improve on our search infrastructure and integrate new features with search
- Facilitate learning both within the team and throughout the organization by participating in pair programming, tech talks and other educational efforts
- Solid grasp of web application development, and the courage to dig into underlying source code
- Understanding of relational database fundamentals and concrete experience with MySQL or another RDBMS
- Familiarity with Kafka and the ELK stack (Elasticsearch/Logstash/Kibana), particularly the Elasticsearch and Kafka bits
- Experience tuning applications for performance, both from the code side and the datastore side
We’d love to hear from you if...
- You have experience designing, building, debugging and scaling distributed systems, particularly systems that integrate with existing large-scale applications
- You are passionate about orchestrating harmony among many moving pieces and can think out of the box to achieve this
- You are a strong collaborator who takes a holistic approach, acknowledging that lasting success in product engineering is not just a function of programming chops
If you are excited about the role, even if these bullet points don’t match your experience, you are encouraged to apply!
Our headquarters are in the heart of Atlanta in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Beltline. We offer extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed.
MailChimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.