MailChimp is the world’s largest marketing automation platform. Millions of businesses use MailChimp to design and send a billion emails a day. We empower small businesses with a suite of powerful and easy-to-use email, marketing automation, and analytics tools that integrate with hundreds of popular applications and services.
MailChimp’s legal team works to help bring our innovative products to market and establish compliance with U.S. and international laws, rules, and regulations. We work in deeply-integrated partnership with just about every other part of the company. And we’re looking for a Corporate Counsel to join our team.
Unlike legal positions at many other companies, this position won’t be limited to a single practice area. Our attorneys work closely with our product, marketing, operations, customer support, and client relations teams, and are required to assist in a wide range of areas. This position requires using a combination of business IQ, technical knowledge, and legal skill, so an aptitude for business is required, and overall business acumen will be further developed on the job.
Our ideal candidate began their career as a transactional associate at a law firm and is looking for their first or second in-house counsel position. Experience or knowledge in data privacy and data security fundamentals and familiarity with software or technology transactions is a plus. Superior analytical skills and a teamwork-driven attitude are of paramount importance, so we will also consider law firm associates with experience in corporate, technology, and related practice areas who possesses an aptitude to learn quickly the nuances of a software and marketing business.
What you'll do:
- Work directly with company business leads to draft, review, and negotiate contracts with vendors, contractors, customers, and partners.
- Provide advice and support directly to business leads and technical specialists on a range of legal and business issues, including issues related to data privacy and security, intellectual property, employment, insurance, taxation, technology law, and international law.
- Other responsibilities include supporting compliance efforts, assisting in transactions and regulatory matters, counseling internal team members on legal and business matters, and drafting commercial agreements.
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have a J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school
- You are an active member in good standing of at least one state bar
- You have 2-4 years of legal experience at a law firm, including 2+ years of transactional legal experience at a private practice law firm
- You demonstrate strong technical aptitude and business acumen
- You have very strong interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people and collaborate with diverse business groups
- You have excellent writing and document drafting skills
- You are a strong strategic thinker
- You have a team-oriented attitude and ability to balance multiple tasks and priorities in a fast-paced environment
- You have relevant legal knowledge or experience with data privacy, cybersecurity, or intellectual property (including trade secret, trademark, and copyright law) matters is a bonus
- Technological experience with software, cloud computing, SaaS, or network technologies, or undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or other technical discipline is preferred
MailChimp is a founder-owned, highly profitable, and private company located in the heart of Atlanta. We offer our 800+ employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed.
We love our hometown and support sustainable urban renewal. Our headquarters is in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Atlanta Beltline. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
MailChimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.