Junior Systems Engineer
MailChimp is the world's leading email marketing service. More than 14 million people and businesses use MailChimp to design and send 1 billion emails a day. We empower small businesses with a suite of powerful and easy-to-use email, marketing automation, and analytics tools that integrate with hundreds of popular applications and services.
The Operations team keeps the lights on at MailChimp—they’re responsible for maintaining our infrastructure, plus provisioning, configuring, and monitoring the services in our datacenter. And they're looking for a Systems Engineer to join the team.
This role will work closely with the Development, Marketing, and Data Science teams to support the infrastructure and monitoring for large-scale projects and products that reach millions of users around the world. Our ideal candidate has relevant experience, but they should also be an expert multi-tasker who's motivated by challenge and willing to dig deep to untangle seemingly impossible issues.
- Provision, configure, and maintain required services and operating systems, from hardware to service configuration
- Monitor all MailChimp infrastructure and associated services and remedy alarms
- Collaborate with Development, Delivery, Data Systems, and other teams throughout MailChimp to ensure hardware needs are correctly specified
- Provide 24/7 coverage by participating in an on-call rotation
- One or more years of experience working within large scale linux environments (at least 100 servers, more than 1000 a bonus)
- Experience monitoring, configuring, and provisioning servers and the services (Apache, Nginx, MySQL, BIND, Pacemaker, etc.) running on them in their previous environment
- Experience with system level troubleshooting (understanding logs, strace, netstat, top/htop, iostate, etc.)
- Beginner to intermediate skills in Linux, Apache/Nginx, Zabbix/Graphite/Similar, Bash/Python/Ruby, MySQL/PostgreSQL, and/or Puppet
- Bonus points for knowledge of containers and virtualization platforms
MailChimp is a founder-owned, highly profitable, and private company located in the heart of Atlanta. We offer our 500+ employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed.
We love our hometown and support sustainable urban renewal. Our office is in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Atlanta Beltline. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
MailChimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.