Senior Data Engineer
MailChimp is the world’s largest marketing automation platform. More than 15 million people and businesses use MailChimp to design and send 1 billion emails a day. We empower small businesses with a suite of powerful and easy-to-use email, marketing automation, and analytics tools that integrate with hundreds of popular applications and services.
MailChimp’s Operations team is responsible for infrastructure that makes that possible. Team members work closely with our Development, Marketing, and Data Research teams to provide the infrastructure needed to move the company and our products forward. We take a pragmatic and practical approach to our stacks; we use proven components and build our own logic and complexity on top of well understood building blocks. We are growing fast and need people who can help advance our infrastructure to deal with the needs of today and tomorrow.
We are seeking an experienced engineer who would be part of the Data Engineering team. This Senior Data Engineer candidate will have a strong history of Linux experience, significant experience with establishing data platforms and pipelines to meet business intelligence and production needs. Our data platform today consists of MySQL, Elasticsearch, Kafka and Postgres and we are looking into the future at other analytic infrastructure options.
- Design, build, optimize, and support systems for storing, aggregating, and analyzing large amounts of data in MySQL, Elasticsearch, and other analytics infrastructure.
- Ensure that internal customers can self service their needs and reduce the need for data engineers to do manual work to free them to be helpful with customers.
- Improve and maintain our data pipeline infrastructure on Kafka and help improve its performance and reliability.
- Work closely with internal teams to ensure that their current and future and reporting needs are met.
- Work with data science, data research, marketing, and delivery teams to support their customer-facing and research needs
- Participate in on-call rotations with the Data Engineering team
- Experience designing and building out big data infrastructure for various business use cases, production facing as well as internal business analytics.
- Operational experience with Elasticsearch including: query tuning, data recovery, monitoring, performance optimization, capacity planning, and schema design
- Experience with Kafka pipeline supporting 100k/s +
- Production and development experience with MySQL; multi-tiered and multi-master replication, large instance dataset (4TB)/table count (1mln+) support, data warehousing query optimization
- Kernel and JVM tuning
- Telemetry and monitoring experience
- CentOS support and admin experience
- Scripting and coding (python, bash, php, go, ruby, java)
- Building systems with configuration management tools
- Familiarity with other infrastructure pieces of our stacks (nginx, mysql, redis, kafka)
Bonus points for
- Experience with Puppet profiles, roles, and other patterns needed for large scale configuration management implementations
MailChimp is a founder-owned, highly profitable, and private company located in the heart of Atlanta. We offer our 500+ employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed.
We love our hometown and support sustainable urban renewal. Our office is in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Atlanta Beltline. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
MailChimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.