Senior Database Engineer
MailChimp is the world’s largest marketing automation platform. Millions of businesses use MailChimp to design and send a billion emails a day. We empower small businesses with a suite of powerful and easy-to-use email, marketing automation, and analytics tools that integrate with hundreds of popular applications and services.
MailChimp’s Operations team is responsible for infrastructure that makes that possible. Team members work closely with our Development, Marketing, and Data Research teams to provide the infrastructure needed to move the company and our products forward. We take a pragmatic and practical approach to our stacks; we use tried and true components and build our own logic and complexity on top of well understood building blocks. We are growing fast and need people who can help advance our infrastructure to take care of with the needs of today and tomorrow.
We are seeking an individual to be a part of the Database Engineering team with a focus on maintaining, growing, and improving our database infrastructure and instrumentation. You will have experience working in a dynamic environment where you are responsible for hundreds of database instances and related tooling. You should enjoy the challenge of troubleshooting production issues as well as looking out at the horizon and planning the future of our infrastructure. You are not afraid to programmatically tackle problems or to make pragmatic decisions when implementing new technologies. Finally, you will be instrumental in helping grow the knowledge of your team members.
- Support Mailchimp’s database infrastructure, comprised of MySQL, Postgres, and Redis
- Contribute to existing tooling as well as crafting new tools when needed
- Share daily production responsibilities and overnight on-call with the team
- Work with other operations and development teams to implement technologies to support our current and future products
- Ensure we have the proper monitoring and alerting in place
- Participate in and facilitate learning opportunities for other team members
- Extensive experience administering and growing database infrastructure
- Deep understanding of replication and high availability instrumentation
- Experience writing APIs, tools, and scripts (such as Python, PHP, Golang, and bash)
- Experience making pragmatic technical decisions for new and existing products
- General Linux knowledge
Bonus points for
- Experience with Puppet profiles, roles, and other patterns needed for large scale configuration management implementations.
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes or other container orchestration technologies
- Familiarity with other pieces of our technical stack (nginx, haproxy, bigquery/dataproc, and distributed Java apps like kafka/elasticsearch).
MailChimp is a founder-owned, highly profitable, and private company located in the heart of Atlanta. We offer our 700+ employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed.
We love our hometown and support sustainable urban renewal. Our headquarters is in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Atlanta Beltline. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
MailChimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.