Senior Director of Engineering (Brooklyn)
Location: Brooklyn, NY
MailChimp is the world’s largest marketing automation platform. Millions of businesses use MailChimp to design and send a billion emails a day. We empower small businesses with a suite of powerful and easy-to-use email, marketing automation, and analytics tools that integrate with hundreds of popular applications and services.
We're seeking an experience engineering director to lead and grow our Brooklyn office. This team currently has an engineering focus, but over time you will help it grow to include multiple, cross-functional product development teams. We want you to take on making the office a great place to work as well as a great extension of everything MailChimp strives to be as a company.
You will be responsible for recruiting and developing a team that not only continues our mission of building amazing products that empower small businesses, but also aligns with MailChimp’s core values of humility, creativity, and independence. MailChimp’s NYC office is located in the Brooklyn Heights district and opened in late 2017. We are currently about 15 engineers, and are growing with product management, research and systems engineering. You will play a big part in growing this team by hiring more incredible folks and building an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can flourish.
You will have tremendous support from our headquarters in Atlanta, as well as our other new office in Oakland, CA. We see these locations as the first steps towards a new level of scale for our company and what we'll be able to accomplish. We'll be able to work with people we otherwise wouldn't have a chance to, and we'll draw in talent that expands our capabilities and helps us reach our goal of being the world’s most loved, most inspiring, most profitable small business brand. Part of reaching those goals is having strong leadership in each office, and that’s where you come in.
This position reports to our VP of Development, Eric Muntz.
What you’ll do:
- Partner with our Product Senior Leadership team to align the engineering teams in Brooklyn with Atlanta, Oakland and our overall roadmap
- Empower team members through technical leadership and personal development
- Help scope, estimate, and prioritize work
- Recruit, retain, and empower a diverse team of engineers that align with MailChimp’s values
- Embrace and demonstrate our values: humility, creativity, and independence
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Are a proven leader with experience growing an engaged, motivated and healthy culture in an engineering/product development organization
- Have collaborated with and communicated strategic initiatives to C-level, VP, management and individual contributors
- Have success hiring highly talented product development staff
- Are committed to diversity and inclusion and have a history of creating teams and environments that are inclusive
- Have a history of developing and sponsoring people you have managed, such that their careers advance and accelerate
- Understand and have complex cross-functional project leadership experience including overseeing product and operational needs, executing plans and deliverables
- Work with cross-organizational planning and structuring of teams
- Have worked in a distributed team or environment and can help grow and manage remote empathy
MailChimp is a founder-owned, highly profitable, and private company. We love Brooklyn and are happy to have a small but growing office with sunlight and views in the heart of Brooklyn Heights. We're centrally located at Cadman Plaza/Borough Hall, a short walk to the Brooklyn Promenade and within a few blocks of 9 subway lines (2, 3, 4, 5, N, A, C, F and R lines).
We offer extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
MailChimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.