Senior Researcher, New Product
Department: Product Management
MailChimp is the world’s largest marketing automation platform. More than 16 million people and businesses use MailChimp to design and send 1 billion emails a day. We empower small businesses with a suite of powerful and easy-to-use email, marketing automation, and analytics tools that integrate with hundreds of popular applications and services.
Our Research team helps the company understand the people we’re designing for, what motivates them, and where our apps fit into their lifestyles and workflows. We use surveys, interviews, onsite visits, usability tests, and other methods to study people, products, and the marketplace to understand the context in which MailChimp lives. Our research plays a vital role in prioritizing product decisions, guiding feature development, and designing the customer experience.
We’re looking for an experienced individual contributor to join our team as a Senior Researcher. An ideal candidate listens hard, observes everything, and can skillfully synthesize large amounts of information into actionable insights. They should be an experienced researcher who’s comfortable working solo, taking lead on small research project teams, and collaborating with MailChimp’s Product Management, Marketing, and Design teams, among other departments. They must be a highly skilled communicator—a deft interviewer, excellent writer, and diplomatic colleague.
- Work with cross-functional product teams (designers, engineers, writers, etc.) to explore, test, and validate new product ideas
- Work with Product Management to make sure new products align with MailChimp’s strategic goals
- Conduct preliminary research to understand user needs, desires, and mental models
- Lead research projects independently or in collaboration with 1-2 other researchers
- Translate research needs into project plans that set scope, define strategy, and use the appropriate methods (including, but not limited to in-depth interviews, ethnography, surveys, usability testing, heuristic evaluations, concept testing, and competitive analysis)
- Direct project analysis, guide the final deliverable, and take responsibility for deadlines
- Communicate research insights and recommendations across departments and up to leadership clearly, effectively, and diplomatically (through reports, presentations, casual conversations, cross-functional team meetings,, emails, etc.)
- Produce research deliverables (reports, presentation decks, etc.) that require minimal editing before they’re ready to share
- Extensive experience leading and executing primary research projects
- Proficiency in survey design, discussion guide writing, interview moderating, qualitative and quantitative data analysis, and presentations
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong cross-team collaboration skills
- Ability to translate research findings into actionable recommendations, while considering company and product goals
- Willingness to travel 2-3 times a year
- Bonus Points:
- Experience conducting research for software companies
- Experience/knowledge of e-commerce
- International research experience
MailChimp is a founder-owned, highly profitable, and private company located in the heart of Atlanta. We offer our 500+ employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing.
We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed.
We love our hometown and support sustainable urban renewal. Our office is in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Atlanta Beltline. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
MailChimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.