Senior Data Researcher
Department: Product Management
MailChimp is the world’s largest marketing automation platform. Millions of businesses use MailChimp to design and send a billion emails a day. We empower small businesses with a suite of powerful and easy-to-use email, marketing automation, and analytics tools that integrate with hundreds of popular applications and services.
We’re looking for an experienced individual contributor to join our team as a Senior Data Researcher. Your role combines aspects of a senior data analyst, research analyst, and data scientist. You’ll be part of a team that works closely with product and qualitative research teams, and you’ll be responsible for communicating key insights, identifying product opportunities, and offering recommendations to stakeholders.
MailChimp places high value on research—it helps us understand the small business marketers we’re designing for, how we can attract them to our product and its features, and where our product fits into their life and work. An ideal candidate for this role listens hard, can synthesize large amounts of information into actionable insights, and communicates those insights clearly.
- Scope, plan, and lead quantitative investigations that answer research questions posed by Product Management or senior leadership team
- Collaborate with product teams to help:
- Inform product decisions based on patterns in user behavior
- Scope, design, execute, and interpret the quantitative components of research
- Develop, test, and validate data definitions, metrics, and reporting strategies
- Create research deliverables (reports, slide decks, emails, etc.) that are concise, easy to understand, and include actionable insights that tie data to business opportunities
- Pull from a wide range of research methods and adeptly select the appropriate method and approach for a given project
- Proactively review and help improve team processes and data infrastructure
- Contribute to the collective growth of your fellow data researchers through thoughtful feedback, knowledge sharing, and mentoring, as appropriate
- Ability to plan, scope, and manage work with minimal supervision
- A proven track record of leading or being the primary contributor to impactful analytical work
- Ability to create easy-to-digest reports and visuals that clearly connect findings to business insights and opportunities
- Proficiency in statistical and computational methods such as regression, hypothesis testing, clustering and classification, time series forecasting
- Proficiency in wrangling and transforming data with scripting languages and command line tools
- Experience using a broad range of data sources, including qualitative data
- Experience collaborating with qualitative researchers
- Excellent SQL skills and either R or Python for data science
- Some experience mentoring or, teaching, or managing people
- Strong fundamental skills in programming and software development practices
- Experience with project management platforms such as Atlassian
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform, BigQuery, Data Studio
- Experience with PostgreSQL and MySQL dialects
MailChimp is a founder-owned, highly profitable, and private company located in the heart of Atlanta. We offer our 500+ employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed.
We love our hometown and support sustainable urban renewal. Our office is in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Atlanta Beltline. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
MailChimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.