When customers leave items in their shopping cart, encourage them to complete their purchase with a custom email that includes product links or special offers.
In this article, you'll learn how to create an abandoned cart email.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- Abandoned cart emails are available to users who connect a supported e-commerce store or custom API 3.0 integration. To find out if your store supports this automation, visit the Connected Sites page.
- You can only have one abandoned cart email per connected store. If you manage multiple stores, you can create one abandoned cart email for each.
- This article shows you how to send a single follow-up email to customers who abandon a shopping cart. To learn how to send a sequence of abandoned cart reminders, read Add an Abandoned Cart Series.
- To make sure your customers don't receive redundant emails, we recommend you disable abandoned cart automations created outside MailChimp. Learn how to turn off default abandoned cart emails in Shopify or BigCommerce.
- You must include the Cart content block in your abandoned cart email.
- Classic and custom coded templates are not compatible with the abandoned cart email.
- If a customer in the abandoned cart email queue makes a purchase before the email is sent, they'll automatically be removed from the queue.
MailChimp for Magento version 1.0.6 supports the abandoned cart email. If you are using an older version of MailChimp for Magento, you will need to update to version 1.0.6 or later to use the abandoned cart email.
- Launch the Automation Builder.
- Choose a store and click Begin.
Now you're ready to view your recipients, delay time, and other settings.
Review Your Settings
We'll display a checklist with your abandoned cart email settings. Review the checklist, and make any necessary changes to your automation, like From name, email address, subject line, and sending delay.
You can choose to send your abandoned cart email six hours or 24 hours after the customer leaves their cart. To change the sending delay for your abandoned cart email, follow these steps.
- On the checklist page, click Edit Recipients.
- In the Hours drop-down menu, choose the delay you want.
- Click Save.
After you've reviewed your settings, you're ready to design your email.
You'll design your abandoned cart email the same way you do in the Campaign Builder, or with other automations. These emails must include the customer's cart information we pull from your connected store. To include this information, choose an abandoned cart template or use any other drag-and-drop template along with the Cart content block.
Abandoned cart templates also include a logo placeholder, which is designed to automatically pull in your default brand logo. To learn more about this placeholder and how to use it, read Set a Default Logo.
To design your email, follow these steps.
- In the content section of the checklist, click Design Email.
- On the Template step of the Email Designer, select your template.
- On the Design step of the Email Designer, design and preview your campaign.
- Click Save and Return to return to the checklist.
- When you are ready to activate the abandoned cart email, click Start Sending.
Customers who leave items in their shopping cart will now automatically receive your abandoned cart email.