Looking for help with your list?
Mailchimp lists are now called audiences. They include the same data and functionality as before, along with valuable new insights about your contacts. As we introduce this change over time, you’ll notice fewer places where we still say list. Learn more about this change.
When a customer leaves an item in their shopping cart, you may want to follow up to remind them to purchase the item they left behind. After you set up an abandoned cart series, we'll send a sequence of reminders to encourage your customers to come back and complete their purchase.
In this article, you'll learn how to create an abandoned cart series.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- The abandoned cart series is available to users who connect a supported e-commerce store or custom API 3.0 integration. To find out if your store supports this automation, visit the Connected Sites page, click the name of your integration, and check the Features list.
- You can only have one abandoned cart series per connected store. If you manage multiple stores, you can create one abandoned cart series for each.
- To make sure your customers don't receive redundant emails, we recommend you disable abandoned cart automations created outside Mailchimp.
- Customers who provide their email address in your connected store, but don't opt-in to receive marketing emails from you, are added to the transactional portion of your Mailchimp list. For compliance reasons, these recipients will only receive the first email in the abandoned cart series.
To create the abandoned cart series, follow these steps.
- Launch the Automation Builder.
- Click the Email series tab
- Enter a campaign name, select a store, and click Begin.
Now you're ready to personalize and design your email content.
In the Emails step of the Automation Builder, you'll add or remove emails in your automation and design each email's content. You can also edit each individual email's settings.
The abandoned cart series includes three emails, but you can add or remove emails, or change the settings for each. The default automation features emails with the following triggers.
- One hour after a subscriber abandons a cart from your store
- One day after a subscriber abandons a cart, and the previous email was sent
- Three days after a subscriber abandons a cart, and the previous email was sent
Design an Email
To design an email in your abandoned cart series, follow these steps.
- Click Design Email.
- On the Setup step, input the field names for Name your email, Email subject, Preview Text, From name, and From email address for the specific email you're working with.
- Click Next.
- On the Template step, select your template. Our abandoned cart email templates include a default logo placeholder and a Cart content block, which inserts the abandoned item into the follow-up emails. If you choose another template, be sure to drag a Cart content block into the email layout.
- On the Design step, design your campaign.
- Click Save and Return to return to your automation timeline.
- To change the trigger, delay, schedule, segment, or activity settings, edit the automation on the Emails step of the Automation Builder.
Edit Workflow Settings
Your overall automation workflow settings include your Workflow name, From name, From email address, and tracking options. To access your workflow settings, navigate to the Emails step of the Automation Builder and click Edit Workflow Settings.
Confirm and Start
The Confirm step is where you'll review your automation.
- Review the checklist, and test each of your emails if you haven't already.
- Click Resolve or Edit to make changes to any section of the automation.
- When you're ready, click Start Workflow.
Success! Now, if a customer leaves an item in their shopping cart, we'll automatically send them your abandoned cart series.