We host landing pages on our servers, and each MailChimp Landing Page has a unique URL. Parts of the URL are customizable. You can add a descriptive title or your brand name, so people know where they're headed when you share the link to your page online.
In this article, you'll learn how to customize the URLs for your landing pages.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- Make sure you're familiar with Landing Pages in MailChimp.
- All users can customize their landing page URLs. Paid users can also include their verified domain.
- We generate your landing page URLs when you publish. You can preview the URL in the Landing Page Builder, but it won't be activated until you publish.
- Landing page URLs can't be edited after you publish, so take the time to choose the URL that's right for your page.
About Landing Page URLs
All landing page URLs include the domain mailchi.mp, and a URL path that's split into two parts.
Here's the anatomy of a landing page URL:
The identifier is unique to the list associated with your page. If you're using a product template, this is the list associated with your connected store.
The customizable URL name is chosen by you and is unique to your landing page.
Your customization options depend on your account type.
- I use a Forever Free account.
For free accounts, the identifier part of the landing page URL is an alpha-numeric string that's generated randomly when the campaign is sent. This can't be customized unless you upgrade to a paid account.
You can edit the last section of your landing page URL regardless of your account type. Here's an example:
- I’m on a Monthly or Pay As You Go Plan.
Paid users can customize an additional part of landing page URLs. You can use your verified email domain in the identifier section of your URL. This helps promote your brand and make your URLs more recognizable to your audience when you share them online.
By default, URLs include the domain from the default From email address for the list associated with your landing page. You’ll find the default From email address in your list settings. You can also choose from any of your account’s verified domains.
For example, for the From email address firstname.lastname@example.org, here's what a landing page URL that includes the verified domain might look like:
Stay Compliant with Landing Page URLs
Best Practices for URLs
The main benefit of customizable page URLs is to make them more recognizable to your audience. Here are a few tips on crafting effective URLs to help you get the most out of this feature.
- Match URLs to page content
Your URL should tell your audience where they're going when they click your link, so it's usually a good idea to customize your URL with something that indicates what your landing page promotes.
- Shorter is usually better
We tend to digest information quickly online, so effective URLs are about 50–60 characters total. If your URL is much longer than that, think about how you could rewrite it. Focus on your keywords and vital information.
- Make it readable
You've probably seen these URLs. They have long strings of numbers and special characters and don't tell you much about where the link will take you. When you customize your URL, use complete words wherever possible.
- Skip stop words
You might want to shorten and simplify your URL by removing stop words like "and" or "the." These words usually aren't vital to readers' comprehension of the URL, but take readability and length into consideration when deciding whether to remove them.
Set Campaign URL Default Settings
If you're a paid user, you can customize part of your page URLs with a verified domain. When you create a new list in your account, we'll ask you to choose a verified domain to use as the default in your landing page and email campaign URLs.
To update the landing page URLs for an existing list, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Lists page.
Click the drop-down menu next to the list you want to work with, and choose Settings.
Click List name & defaults.
- Click the Campaign URL settings drop-down menu and choose the verified domain you want to use.
- Click Save List And Campaign Defaults.
- All set! From now on, when you create a landing page or send an email campaign, the URL will include your verified domain name.
Customize Landing Page URLs
To customize a landing page URL, follow these steps.
- In the Landing Page Builder, click Add URL.
- Type the new URL. If you're a paid user, you click the drop-down to choose from your verified domains. The verified domain you choose will update the URLs for every future email campaign or landing page associated with your list.
- Click Save.
All set! Now your recipients will see your customized URL when you share your page or they view your page in a web browser.