If you've received an alert that pruning is required on your account, we know you're ready to resolve the issue and get back to work. This message means you don't have a history of compliance issues, but we've noticed one of your campaigns recently generated a high number of bounces or abuse complaints. To take care of this issue before it becomes a bigger problem, you can use our system to clean up your list.
In this article, you'll learn how to remove stale addresses with MailChimp's pruning tool.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- Although you don't have a history of compliance issues, one of your campaigns recently generated a high number of bounces or abuse complaints. This is usually due to outdated, or stale, subscriber information in your list.
- We've flagged a number of addresses in your list that are likely causing this issue. This process will remove those addresses from your list.
- We have to disable sending for your list until this process is complete to prevent continued negative campaign results that could damage the deliverability of campaigns sent through MailChimp.
- After you complete this process, we'll reinstate sending for your list.
To remove the stale addresses causing your compliance issue, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Lists page.
- In the yellow alert box under the affected list, and click Prune Addresses.
- Review the affected contacts in your list, and click Prune Addresses.
- In the pop-up modal, click Confirm.
We'll display a success message to let you know the addresses have been unsubscribed from your list and send a confirmation email to the Primary Account Contact.
What should I do next?
After you've completed the pruning process, we'll reinstate sending for your list and you can create and send campaigns as normal.
We strongly recommend that you review your lists periodically and send re-engagement campaigns to your inactive subscribers. This will help keep your list healthy, cut down on bounce warnings and abuse complaints, and can improve your ROI.