Senior Design Manager
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
Our Design department is a multi-disciplinary team comprised of brand design, product design, design operations, and portfolio design. We work cross functionally with just about every team from marketing, to product, to culture to deliver a unified customer experience and make things feel like Mailchimp.
We’re looking for a Senior Design Manager with a solid understanding of design process and familiarity with attracting, retaining and developing top talent within mid to large size organizations. You love working with a diverse array of people, aligning stakeholders, guiding design approaches and obsessing about cultivating transparency. You’re highly collaborative, comfortable driving critical initiatives, and presenting work to leadership. In addition, you have a mature perspective and fascination for how design teams get work done and enjoy teaching and deploying new methods to add to design’s growing toolkit. You thrive in connecting experiences across product areas, and have a knack for rallying support for future facing work to help shape the future of the Mailchimp experience. If this sounds like you, and you'd like a chance to join the MailChimp team, we'd love to hear from you.
What you’ll do here:
Strategy & Planning (40%):
- Explore new patterns and practices and enhancing design’s methodological toolkit
- Help introduce and lead change and workflow improvement.
- Shape work efforts of Designers in collaboration with key stakeholders to ensure products are aligned with company, stakeholder and end user priorities
- Galvanize support for ideas through excellent influencing and communication skills.
- Align design efforts across multiple products areas.
- Understand strategic business goals and focuses work around core KPIs.
- Present complex design concepts, user needs, and design rationale to multidisciplinary teams, as well as to key stakeholders and business partners
- Contribute to strategic staffing plans in support of key objectives in a timely and fiscally responsible manner
- Act as a proponent of UX best practices
Delivery & Execution (30%):
- Work closely with cross functional peers to advance patterns and standards as well as finalize timelines and deliverables
- Work with the team to ensure exceptional design deliverables; set and exceed best practices and standards, measurable impacts, and design integrity in the final product
- Motivate the team to create designs that constantly push boundaries to keep MailChimp at the forefront of UX design
- Oversee project timelines and deliverables, guide production pipeline and communicate evolving project goals
- Review design proposals to ensure that efforts are aligned with company, stakeholder, and end user priorities
- Receive and prioritize incoming design requests across assigned product areas
- Guide the analysis of behavioral data and provides recommendations to address business needs
- Lead the communication of ideas and designs to end user and product team members
- Make suggestions that help optimize processes and increase design quality
- Comfortably lead and inspire up to 8-10 direct reports
- Create opportunities for reports to grow and flourish
- Provide guidance, oversight, and mentorship to the team
- Set expectations, and help promote a fun, highly collaborative team culture
- Attract, retain, and develop top talent
- Foster collaboration with team members (Engineering, Product Management, etc.) to drive value and identify and resolve impediments
- Guide more junior team members in strategy, alignment, analysis, and execution tasks
- Conduct annual and quarterly reviews, reviewing individual development plans and providing performance feedback
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You have at least 6+ years design experience
- You are strong in experience building, managing and leading product design teams, preferably in a SaaS environment
- You have worked on teams designing for web and mobile
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills along with high degree of emotional intelligence
- Your portfolio illustrates applied experience as the creative process leader on projects
- You are results oriented with ability to multi-task; comfortable with a fast-paced, changing environment
- You have proven ability to embrace change in hyper-growth environments with nimble ease in adapting
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed.
We love our hometown and support sustainable urban renewal. Our headquarters is in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Atlanta Beltline. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.