Software Engineer - Data Systems
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
The Data Systems team builds systems that bridge the gap between raw business data and consumable data products that the business can trust and take action on. We engage with business partners to define their use case, their needs, and then provide that product in the most useful format.
We are looking for a Software Engineer who has a strong service-oriented mindset. This person has engaged effectively with stakeholders to ensure they’re building the right systems that empower its users and allows them to pursue more ambitious project work. They foster lasting relationships that reduce barriers to pursuing ambitious work for users.
Our ideal candidate has experience operating business-critical systems at a high-level. They make tradeoffs and concessions that aim to have minimal user disruption. They’ve collaborated effectively with partner teams to build highly performant, reliable, and observable systems that produce minimal toil for operators. They take an engineering approach to their service management, develop tooling that reduces operational work for the entire team, and strive to spend most of their time doing project work than directly operating software.
What you’ll do:
- Build batch and real-time data pipeline to surface new internal and third-party data sources for easy analysis.
- Build aggregated and historical datasets, dashboards, and APIs to support getting the right data to the right people at the right time.
- Contribute to advancing goals around data governance policy creation/enforcement, business metadata cataloging, and access control.
We’ve love to hear from you if:
- You show strong judgment with building systems for stakeholders.
- You collaborate effectively with cross-functional peers to advance initiatives.
- You take an engineering approach to service management.
- You have advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases (e.g., MySQL, Postgres).
- You have experience building and optimizing data pipelines, architectures, and data sets.
- You have experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- You have strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- You build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency, and workload management.
- You have a successful history of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- You have experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- You have experience using the following software/tools:
- Data pipeline and workflow management tools (e.g., Airflow, Luigi, Oozie, Azkaban).
- GCP cloud services: BigQuery, Dataproc, Dataflow, etc. or comparable cloud platform services.
- Object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, or Scala.
- Stream-processing systems: Beam, Spark Streaming, Kafka Streams, etc. is a plus.
- Looker is a plus.
- Alation is a plus.
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We love Brooklyn and are happy to have a small but growing office with sunlight and views in the heart of Brooklyn Heights. We're centrally located at Cadman Plaza/Borough Hall, a short walk to the Brooklyn Promenade and within a few blocks of 9 subway lines (2, 3, 4, 5, N, A, C, F and R lines).
Our headquarters are in the heart of Atlanta in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Beltline. We offer our employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.