Front End Software Engineer, Marketing Platform
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
We’re looking for an engineer with expertise in front-end development to join our team and help us build out the future of the front-end at Mailchimp. You can expect to work collaboratively on a team with designers, analysts, researchers, and other engineers to build great, friendly experiences for our customers.
Our ideal candidate has a strong understanding of user experience design, deep and applied knowledge of front-end fundamentals (HTML, CSS, JS/ES), a nuanced understanding of browser behavior and interactions, and is at least lightly conversant in backend development. We’re in the midst of a large-scale adoption of React, so a willingness to work with complex interfaces and an appreciation for building clean components for them is a plus.
At Mailchimp, we value learning, collaboration and clarity. You’ll find success here if you enjoy writing code, but you're aware that your job isn't only about shipping: you are a welcoming contributor that knows how to communicate with your team in order to provide great software.
What you’ll do:
- Write and maintain clean, maintainable, and well-tested code for the future (and present) of Mailchimp’s front-end
- Share your knowledge with teammates through code review, office hours, Tech Talks, and other avenues
- Provide mentorship for fellow team members
- Research, propose, and promote new approaches to work, tooling, and standards for the team
- Work with design and engineering team members to build features from concept through implementation
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You’ve excelled at and enjoyed front-end engineering in a work setting and have demonstrated accomplishments to share with us
- You have depth of experience in at least one modern front-end framework and can speak to its benefits (React, Vue, AngularJS, etc.)
- You have mild experience in backend development (such as PHP, Python, etc)—enough that you can smoothly navigate the workings of a web application even if backend development is not your focus
- You have several years experience in a technical work setting (in any technical role) and have formed an understanding of team communication patterns
- You’re comfortable collaborating closely with product managers and designers, providing estimates or product ideas that will influence your team’s roadmap
- You’re a thoughtful communicator - this team is partially distributed so effective written communication is key
- You embrace and demonstrate our values: humility, creativity, and independence
Pluses, but not requirements, include:
- Experience and interest in the React ecosystem
- You enjoy analysis and using data to inform decision-making
- Experience and interest in accessibility
- An appreciation for improving web performance
- Experience with front-end testing patterns
If you are excited about the role, even if these pluses don’t match your experience, you are encouraged to apply!
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We love Oakland and are happy to have a small but growing office right downtown, especially convenient to the BART.
Our headquarters are in the heart of Atlanta in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Beltline. We offer our employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.