Senior Front End Software Engineer, Marketing Platform
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
We’re looking for an engineer with expertise in front-end development to join our Marketing Platform team and help us build out the future of the front-end at Mailchimp. You can expect to work collaboratively on a team with designers, analysts, researchers, and other engineers to build great, friendly experiences for our customers.
Our ideal candidate has a strong understanding of user experience design, deep and applied knowledge of front-end fundamentals (HTML, CSS, JS/ES), a nuanced understanding of browser behavior and interactions, and is at least lightly conversant in backend development. We’re in the midst of a large-scale adoption of React, so a willingness to work with complex interfaces and an appreciation for building clean components for them is a plus.
At Mailchimp, we value learning, collaboration and clarity. You’ll find success here if you enjoy writing code, but you're aware that your job isn't only about shipping: you are a welcoming contributor who knows how to communicate with your team in order to provide great software. You've broken production environments—and then buckled down, fixed them and maybe you held a blameless post-mortem about it!
We’re excited to be adding to our teams in our Mailchimp Oakland office. This is an opportunity to contribute to forming a strong culture in a growing satellite office. You should be comfortable with distributed teams (as you’ll work with many folks in other locations), and also excited about building a strong, inclusive environment for everyone who joins after you.
What you’ll do:
- Set technical direction for and own the design and implementation of the overall front-end system architecture and infrastructure.
- Write and maintain clean, maintainable, and well-tested code for the future (and present) of Mailchimp’s front-end
- Share your knowledge with teammates through code review, office hours, Tech Talks, and other avenues
- Empower team members - including other developers as well as Technical Support and QA - through technical mentoring, contributions to the team’s documentation libraries, and providing automation for manual tasks where appropriate.
- Define and adhere to internal coding standards, development processes, and design best practices.
- Ensure quality by performing thorough testing and leveraging peer reviews for your work and the work of cross functional teams.
- Help scope, estimate, and prioritize work.
- Work with design and engineering team members to build features from concept through implementation
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have experience in a software development environment, preferably building and maintaining distributed applications professionally.
- You have depth of experience in at least one modern front-end framework and can speak to its benefits (React, Vue, AngularJS, etc.)
- You have mild experience in backend development (such as PHP, Python, etc)—enough that you can smoothly navigate the workings of a web application even if backend development is not your focus
- You have experience driving technical projects, prioritizing work, identifying dependencies, facilitating technical decision and team discussions.
- You’re comfortable collaborating closely with product managers and designers, providing estimates or product ideas that will influence your team’s roadmap
- You’re a thoughtful communicator - this team is partially distributed so effective written communication is key
- You embrace and demonstrate our values: humility, creativity, and independence
Pluses, but not requirements, include:
- Experience and interest in the React ecosystem
- You enjoy analysis and using data to inform decision-making
- Experience and interest in accessibility
- An appreciation for improving web performance
- Experience with front-end testing patterns
If you are excited about the role, even if these pluses don’t match your experience, you are encouraged to apply!
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We love Oakland and are happy to have a small but growing office right downtown, especially convenient to the BART.
Our headquarters are in the heart of Atlanta in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Beltline. We offer our employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.