Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
We are seeking an attorney to join the Mailchimp legal team. As a member of the team, you will provide advice to senior management at Mailchimp, manage important internal and external relationships, and have an opportunity to influence legal and business strategies.
Unlike legal positions at many other companies, this position won’t be limited to a single practice area. Our attorneys work closely with our product, marketing, engineering, communications, customer support, and client relations teams, and are required to assist in a wide range of subject matters. This position requires using a combination of business IQ, technical knowledge, and legal skills, so an aptitude for business is required, and overall business acumen will be further developed on the job.
Our ideal candidate began their career as a transactional associate at a law firm and is looking for their first or second in-house counsel position. A strong background in contract law and experience in the corporate, finance, mergers and acquisitions, or investment areas is required. Experience or knowledge in data privacy and data security fundamentals and familiarity with software or technology transactions is a plus. Superior analytical skills and a teamwork-driven attitude are of paramount importance.
- Work directly with company business leads to structure, draft, review, and negotiate commercial and technology agreements with vendors, contractors, customers, and partners.
- Provide advice and support directly to business leads and technical specialists on a range of legal and business issues, including issues related to corporate governance, insurance, data privacy and security, intellectual property, technology law, and international law.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with marketing, product, design, communications and other stakeholders on multi-disciplinary issues.
- Support marketing and product initiatives, including counseling internal teams on compliance issues, international law, and contractual obligations.
- Develop and implement ways to scale legal processes.
- Other responsibilities include assisting in transactions and regulatory matters, supporting compliance efforts, counseling internal team members on legal and business matters, and collaborating with product teams on a range of complex business, legal, and strategic issues.
- J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school
- Active member in good standing of at least one state bar
- 2-4 years of legal experience at a law firm, including 2+ years of transactional legal experience at a private practice law firm
- Demonstrably strong technical aptitude and business acumen
- Very strong interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people, collaborate with diverse business groups, and build interdepartmental relationships at all levels
- Excellent writing and document drafting skills
- Strong strategic thinking and analytical skills and judgment
- Team-oriented attitude and ability to balance multiple tasks and priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Relevant legal knowledge and experience with contract and corporate law is required
- Legal knowledge or experience with data privacy, cybersecurity, or litigation matters is a bonus
- Demonstrated capacity to keep current on emerging business and legal trends in the marketing, technology, and privacy industries
- Technological experience with software, cloud computing, SaaS, or digital technologies (e.g., digital advertising, social media, mobile apps) is preferred
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Beltline. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.