Front End Development Manager, Marketing Design
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
We’re looking for an experienced Manager to lead our FrontEnd Development team within marketing design. This person will help build a team of frontend developers that collaborates closely with our marketing team. You can expect to work collaboratively on a team with designers, marketers, researchers, and other engineers to build great, friendly experiences for our customers.
Our ideal candidate is an experienced people leader who has experience in leading teams of front end developers and collaborating closely cross functionally with marketing, design and engineering teams. You should also have a strong understanding of user experience design, deep and applied knowledge of front-end fundamentals (HTML, CSS, JS/ES), a nuanced understanding of browser behavior and interactions, and is at least lightly conversant in backend development. We’re in the midst of a large-scale adoption of React, so a willingness to work with complex interfaces and an appreciation for building clean components for them is a plus.
At Mailchimp, we value learning, collaboration and clarity. You’ll find success here if you enjoy leading people and writing code, and you are a welcoming leader who knows how to communicate with your team in order to provide fantastic web experiences. You've broken production environments—and then buckled down, fixed them and maybe you held a blameless post-mortem about it!
What you’ll do:
- Grow and lead a team of front end developers
- Set technical direction for and own the design and implementation of the overall front-end system architecture and infrastructure.
- Write and maintain clean, maintainable, and well-tested code for the future (and present) of Mailchimp’s front-end
- Coach team members and review submitted code
- Share your knowledge with teammates through code review, office hours, Tech Talks, and other avenues
- Empower team members - including other developers as well as Technical Support and QA - through technical mentoring, contributions to the team’s documentation libraries, and providing automation for manual tasks where appropriate.
- Define and adhere to internal coding standards, development processes, and design best practices.
- Ensure quality by performing thorough testing and leveraging peer reviews for your work and the work of cross functional teams.
- Help scope, estimate, and prioritize work.
- Work with marketing and engineering team members to build features from concept through implementation
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have experience growing, mentoring and leading teams
- You have experience in a frontend development environment, preferably building and maintaining distributed applications professionally.
- You have depth of experience in at least one modern front-end framework and can speak to its benefits (React, Vue, AngularJS, etc.)
- You have mild experience in backend development (such as PHP, Python, etc)—enough that you can smoothly navigate the workings of a web application even if backend development is not your focus
- You have experience driving technical projects, prioritizing work, identifying dependencies, facilitating technical decisions and team discussions.
- You’re comfortable collaborating closely with product managers and designers, engineers and marketing teams providing estimates or product ideas that will influence your team’s roadmap
- You’re a thoughtful communicator
- You embrace and demonstrate our values: humility, creativity, and independence
Pluses, but not requirements, include:
- Experience and interest in the React ecosystem
- Experience with commerce flows and terminology
- You enjoy analysis and using data to inform decision-making
- Experience and interest in accessibility
- An appreciation for improving web performance
- Experience with front-end testing patterns
If you are excited about the role, even if these pluses don’t match your experience, you are encouraged to apply!
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Beltline. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Curious to how hiring has shifted related to COVID-19? Click here to find out more!