Senior Manager of Engineering, Email & Automations
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
We are currently looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to join our Email & Automations team. The Email & Automations team builds industry-leading email and automation functionality to ensure whenever our customers speak to their audience, it is both efficient and effective. We consistently iterate and launch new features based on our users needs, and leverage Mailchimp's feature-rich marketing platform to serve recommendations and personalization so our small business clients can market like pros.
This role sits at the nexus of Mailchimp’s Engineering, Design, Customer Experience, and Product teams, building systems to support a great experience for Mailchimp’s customers.
Our ideal candidate is excited to help Mailchimp customers connect with their customers. We are looking for an enthusiastic and effective collaborator, eager to work across the organization, and be the voice for Engineering when making decisions for our long-term roadmaps and short-term goals.
What you’ll do:
- Manage and grow a high performing, diverse team of Engineers and Engineering Managers in Atlanta, Brooklyn, and Oakland.
- Cultivate healthy channels for communication, review, and feedback. Clearly and effectively communicate across departments, teams, and management tiers.
- Maintain a sense of camaraderie, cooperation, and collaboration among team members. Ensure that members of the team feel psychologically safe. Support and encourage those who face challenging situations.
- Build a common mindset by aligning groups of people along shared goals. Recognize team members' desire to do good work, cultivate their intrinsic motivations and strengths, and connect them with the resources they need to be successful. Establish flexible systems for ensuring accountability.
- Provide coaching, mentoring, and encouragement to team members. Effectively acknowledge and reward both individual and team efforts. Support employees in their skill development in ways that meet both strategic organizational goals and their individual objectives.
- Facilitate open and honest dialog within the team, drawing on the broad experiences and diverse perspectives of team members. Coordinate healthy discussions, and work to establish consent when consensus is unattainable.
- Cultivate and solicit honest feedback about your own performance. Put in time and energy to learn to be more effective when coaching, delivering feedback, and developing others, and to understand unfamiliar technologies, tools, and systems
- Utilize failure as an opportunity to learn and grow. Apply criticism and mistakes as an opportunity to learn without assigning blame or entrenching regret.
- Champion of experimentation, collaboration, unified customer experience, and design thinking.
- Talent for molding nebulous projects into achievable milestones using customer research and leaning on the expertise of the team they’re managing.
- Experience coaching and developing engineering managers to level up their skills and build leadership experience.
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Have solid experience managing an inclusive team of high-performing engineers in multiple office locations.
- Are experienced with product-focused software development that touches the entire web stack, using analytics and user testing to drive decisions.
- Recognize the value of transparent, honest communication and the necessity of sharing information.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the differences between managing a project team, individual contributors, and managers.
- Communicate confidently, write capably, and present effectively to groups of 5-10 people.
- Are patient, resilient, and willing to take on work even when it's challenging, ambiguous, or intense.
- Deliver clear, effective feedback even when it’s difficult or intimidating.
- Willing to consider things from other perspectives and consider the impact on others; comfortable being proven wrong.
- Have a desire to pursue collaboration even when it introduces dissent. Values bringing diverse perspectives to the table. Able to balance efforts between planning and acting.
- Understand how to augment humility with the courage to propose, develop, and defend ideas they feel passionately about.
- Bonus points for a background in working with front-end specialists on design-centric projects.
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We love Oakland and are happy to have a growing office right downtown, especially convenient to the BART.
Our headquarters are in the heart of Atlanta in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Beltline. We offer our employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Curious how hiring has shifted at Mailchimp due to COVID-19? Click here to find out more!