Corporate Counsel, Employment
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
We are seeking an employment attorney to join the Mailchimp legal team. As a member of the team, you will provide advice to senior management at Mailchimp, manage important internal and external relationships, and have an opportunity to influence legal and business strategies.
This position will be a key legal advisor to the company in the area of employment law and will provide subject matter expertise on a broad range of matters that affect the complex working environment of a growing technology company.
Our ideal candidate began their career as an associate focused on employment law at a law firm and is looking for their first or second in-house counsel position. A successful candidate will be able to demonstrate a combination of business IQ, technical knowledge, legal skills, and an aptitude for business. Overall business acumen will be further developed on the job.
What you'll do here:
- Provide day to day legal counsel and advice across a variety of areas including employee relations, performance management, compliance, dispute resolution, leaves of absence and accommodations, wage and hour, internal investigations, compensation and benefits, and contingent workforce issues.
- Draft and review employment policies to ensure best practices and compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Partner with cross-functional teams, including the Executive, Legal, and People teams, to provide strategic, business-oriented employment law guidance for successful execution of Company initiatives.
- Investigate and respond to federal and state administrative complaints, including EEOC and local agency charges.
- Lead or assist in management of litigation related to employment matters and oversee and manage outside counsel with regard to disputes and litigation.
- Provide communications and training relating to new federal, state, and local legislation and regulations; work with business stakeholders to integrate new procedures and revised policies.
- Partner with the People team to generate and conduct training relating to employee relations best practices, investigation techniques, and other employment law topics.
- Oversee internal audits of the Company’s employment policies and practices and HR compliance.
- Provide counsel and guidance on immigration matters.
- Support merger and acquisition transactions and related integration of employees.
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school
- You are an active member in good standing of at least one state bar
- You have 4-6 years of legal experience at a law firm handling employment matters.
- You are able to demonstrate a strong technical aptitude and business acumen
- You have very strong interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people, collaborate with diverse business groups, and build interdepartmental relationships at all levels
- You have excellent writing and document drafting skills
- You are a strategic thinker with strong analytical skills and judgment
- You have a team-oriented attitude and ability to balance multiple tasks and priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Relevant legal knowledge and experience with employment law is required
- You have demonstrated capacity to keep current on emerging business and legal trends in the technology industry
- Technological experience with software, cloud computing, SaaS, or digital technologies (e.g., digital advertising, social media, mobile apps) is preferred
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Beltline. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
Curious to how hiring has shifted related to COVID-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.