Director of Engineering Department Operations
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
Mailchimp’s engineering department is currently bigger than many companies’ total headcount. We’ve grown quickly, and our processes need to catch up, in areas including but not limited to interviewing, onboarding, promotions and staffing. We now have a number of inconsistent or unclear systems across offices, teams and roles. Those gaps leave ~400 individuals to spend time finding information and trying to solve problems for which there isn’t a clear owner. In addition, lack of consistency and communication makes certain processes inherently less fair. There’s a lot of opportunity to help the department improve in these areas. This role will own solutions and communication, to ensure that we’re working effectively, efficiently and fairly.
Who you are:
- A collaborative, creative problem solver
- A consistent, thoughtful listener and communicator
- A strategic thinker who can *really* execute on logistical details
- Note: This role focuses on people and process operations, not devops
What you’ll do:
- Manage a small team to carry out the department operations vision
- Partner with senior leaders, other departments, and groups within the department to identify and achieve key objectives related to department operations
- Collect data, even informal, on the engineering organization operations of today and propose data-informed recommendations for improvements
- Drive change by testing and implement new ideas and processes
- Tee up work for others to own long-term by carrying projects initially then handing them off to an appropriate owner
- Help create structure and intentionality around department communications
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You’ve worked at a director level or above and are comfortable working with and building alignment with other senior leaders
- You collaborate consistently with other stakeholders
- You have managed other managers
- You have a track record of implementing successful projects and processes--from vision through to detailed logistics
- You have a track record of improving diversity, equity and/or inclusion in your current and past roles
- You have strong communication skills, both verbal and in written
- You have experience working with multiple departments to drive change and are patient when working with other departments that may work at a different pace or in a different way than the engineering organization
- You have demonstrated understanding of engineering roles
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Beltline. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
Curious to how hiring has shifted related to COVID-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.