Director of Engineering Department Operations
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
Mailchimp’s Engineering team is our largest department and currently bigger than many companies’ total headcount. We’re growing quickly, and our processes are growing to match, in areas including but not limited to interviewing, onboarding, promotions, and staffing. This role will take the lead on existing efforts to transform and build our processes into programs and systems that are consistent, fair, and inclusive across offices, teams, and roles - while also helping the department improve how we build new processes in the future. This role will own solutions and communication, to ensure that we’re working effectively, efficiently and equitably.
Who you are:
- A collaborative, creative problem solver
- A consistent, thoughtful listener and communicator
- A strategic thinker who can lead a team to *really* execute on logistical details
- A leader who focuses on people and process operations and understands how it impacts technology
What you’ll do:
- Manage a small but far reaching team to carry out the department operations vision
- Partner with diverse groups within the department - including new and junior employees and senior leaders - as well as other departments to identify and achieve key objectives related to Engineering department operations
- Collect data, even informal, on the engineering organization operations of today and propose data-informed recommendations for improvements to ensure Engineering is the best department to work in and with
- Drive change by testing and implementing new ideas and processes
- Tee up work for others to own long-term by carrying projects initially then handing them off to an appropriate owner
- Help create structure and intentionality around department communications
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You’ve worked at a Director level or above and are comfortable working with and building alignment with other senior leaders
- You collaborate consistently with other stakeholders
- You have managed other managers
- You have a track record of implementing successful projects, programs, and processes--from strategic vision through to detailed logistics
- You have a track record of improving diversity, equity and/or inclusion at a systemic level in your current and past roles
- You are a strong communicator, both verbally and written
- You are skilled at facilitating dialogue and problem solving across different interests within the department
- You have experience working with multiple departments to drive change and build effective partnerships for collaboration
- You have demonstrated understanding of engineering roles
How you’ll work: Our Core Leadership Behaviors are the observable and measurable leadership actions and skills that contribute to our effectiveness and success in our roles at Mailchimp. They determine how we do our jobs and how we meet our goals, enabling us to bring out the best in each other and execute on our strategic plans to deliver for our customers.
- Thriving in Complexity: You unravel and make sense of potentially sophisticated, incomplete, and contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Nimble Learning: You tackle problems with experimentation, using successes and failures to inform future decisions
- Expecting the best: You hold yourself and others accountable to meet commitments
- Collaborating Courageously: You build partnerships across the company and work collaboratively with others to meet strategic goals
- Cultivating Candor: You act with integrity and earn the confidence and trust of others through honesty and authenticity
- Inclusive Leadership: You recognize the value diversity brings to our organization and leverages different perspectives to enhance organizational culture and drive performance
- Customer Obsessed: You listen hard to customers, understand their challenges, develop relationships with them, and deliver products that remove their obstacles
- Action Oriented: You initiate new opportunities and face tough challenges with a sense of energy, enthusiasm and service
*Mailchimp currently offers flexible and remote options in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Washington. If you are unable to work from one of these registered locations, you will not be eligible for employment.
The minimum base salary for this role in Colorado is $163,000. For all other locations, base salary will vary by geographic market and will be determined through the selection and assessment process for this role relative to your experience and our job qualifications.
Curious how hiring has shifted at Mailchimp due to Covid-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, and London with additional remote work locations available. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing, and are working toward becoming a flexible-first organization. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender (including gender expression and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, weight, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by federal, state or local law.