Corporate Counsel, Marketing, Advertising, & Design
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
We are seeking a Marketing & Advertising attorney to join the Mailchimp legal team. As a member of the team, you will provide advice to senior management at Mailchimp, manage important internal and external relationships, and have an opportunity to influence legal and business strategies.
This position will be a key legal advisor to the company in the areas of Marketing & Advertising law and Intellectual Property rights and will provide subject matter expertise on a broad range of matters that affect the marketing strategy of a growing technology company. This position requires using a combination of business IQ, technical knowledge, and legal skills, so an aptitude for business is required, and overall business acumen will be further developed on the job.
Our ideal candidate began their career at a law firm, is looking for their first or second in-house counsel position, and has a background in marketing, advertising, trademark, and copyright law. Experience with legal issues related to brand protection is required. Experience with the intersection of marketing and advertising laws with privacy regulations is a plus. Superior analytical skills and a teamwork-driven attitude are of paramount importance.
What you'll do here:
- Review marketing and advertising concepts and copy in connection with a variety of campaigns and executions - from traditional print, to online campaigns, social media campaigns, and complex promotions - and evaluate substantiation materials to determine whether claims are sufficiently supported.
- Counsel and assist our marketers with all aspects of contests, events, sweepstakes, promotions, and giveaways.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with marketing, design, product, communications and other stakeholders on multi-disciplinary issues.
- Lead the management of Mailchimp’s global trademark portfolio and direct outside counsel in execution of portfolio and enforcement strategies.
- Develop and maintain a repository of resources, standards, and disclosures for internal marketing teams, such as best practices, guidelines, and other required disclosures.
- Contribute to the continuous development and improvement of brand protection strategies and processes.
- Coordinate with outside counsel in international markets to ensure compliance with foreign regulatory requirements related to marketing and advertising.
- Draft and negotiate a variety of agreements related to marketing campaigns - such as agency-client agreements, talent and vendor agreements, media buying agreements, intellectual property and technology licenses, and website terms and conditions.
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have a J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school
- You are an active member in good standing of at least one state bar
- You have 3 to 8 years of legal experience at a law firm or a combination of law firm and in-house experience
- You have demonstrably strong technical aptitude and business acumen
- You have very strong interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people, collaborate with diverse business groups, and build interdepartmental relationships at all levels
- You have excellent writing and document drafting skills
- You are a strong strategic thinker and with analytical skills and judgment
- You have a team-oriented attitude and ability to balance multiple tasks and priorities in a fast-paced environment
- You have relevant legal knowledge or experience with advertising law (claim substantiation, false advertising, etc.) and intellectual property (including trade secret, trademark, and copyright law) matters is required
- You have demonstrated capacity to keep current on emerging business and legal trends in the marketing, technology, and privacy industries
- You have technology experience with software, cloud computing, SaaS, or digital technologies (e.g., digital advertising, social media, mobile apps) is preferred
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Beltline. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.