Senior Systems Engineer, Observability Platforms
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
Mailchimp’s Engineering Operations team is responsible for infrastructure that makes that possible. Team members work closely with our Development, Product, Support and Data Research teams to provide the infrastructure needed to move the company and our products forward. We take a pragmatic and practical approach to our technology stacks; we use proven components and build our business logic on top of understood and supported building blocks. We are growing fast and need people who are eager to join us on this journey of learning and advancing our Engineering strategy. Our definite goal is to build a hybrid infrastructure that’ll allow us to deal with the needs of today and tomorrow while empowering our customers.
Observability Platforms is seeking people with the aptitude, attitude and curiosity to join our journey. We are a small team focused on creating visibility into Mailchimp’s services and infrastructure. Our systems collect millions of data points a day from thousands of systems and are used by hundreds of internal engineers. Through a mix of open source software, in-house developed software, and saas tooling we seek to consistently and reliably improve the ability for everyone from Engineering, Product, and Support to understand the behavior of the services or features they support. The ideal candidate will help us plan, design and implement an engineering strategy to tackle this high impact initiative.
What you'll do here:
- Design, develop, implement and support an evolving observability platform that provides visibility into services and features using metrics, tracing, and logs from multiple services
- Provide guidance to engineers on how they can best utilize our systems to gain confidence that their services are performing as expected
- Collaborate with other teams and departments on how we can improve our systems to provide the visibility they need into the Mailchimp application
- Develop, communicate, and enforce standards for metrics, tracing, logs and analytics
We'd love to hear from you if:
- Experience in building and operating large scale observability systems
- Exposure to cloud services, distributed systems, and various logging applications
- Proficient Linux and networking knowledge
- Demonstrated experience with bringing together inclusive working groups to solve challenges
- Experience with PHP or Golang development
- Familiarity with observability and monitoring technologies such as OpenTelemetry, Prometheus, Zabbix, or Elasticsearch
- Familiarity with other pieces of our technical stack (Prometheus, Alertmanager, Grafana, Kubernetes).
- Ability to utilize automation and orchestration tools to build large scalable systems
- Experience with Google Cloud or Amazon Web Services
*Mailchimp currently offers flexible and remote options in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Washington. If you are unable to work from one of these registered locations, you will not be eligible for employment.
The minimum base salary for this role in Colorado is $117,000. For all other locations, base salary will vary by geographic market and will will be determined through the selection and assessment process for this role relative to your experience and our job qualifications.
Curious to how hiring has shifted related to COVID-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, and London with additional remote work locations available. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing, and are working toward becoming a flexible-first organization. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.