Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
We are seeking a Staff Engineer to help us build and support Mailchimp products. You can expect to set the team’s technical direction and bring operation focus to projects that directly impact the future of the department and company.
The ideal candidate has 10 or more years of experience building and operating large web applications, plus familiarity with current technology trends and patterns. They should also be a skilled communicator and collaborator comfortable working across multiple teams and departments.
What you’ll do:
- Establish patterns that help with consistency and engineer effectiveness
- Architect and implement projects consistent with our philosophy and guidelines
- Ensure developmental focus for company’s biggest initiatives
- Understand the operational needs of other departments
- Work collaboratively with devs and engineers to solve complex issues
- Provide technical guidance on large-scale projects that may span multiple engineering teams
- Collaborate with, mentor, and train other engineers
- Remain up-to-date on evolving tools and patterns for managing infrastructure, guiding our implementation of them when necessary
- Serve as a resource to Ops engineering teams as needed to encourage consistency across all efforts
- Work with a distributed team to push projects forward by providing feedback on code and architecture decisions
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- Extensive experience working within large-scale development environments
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Exceptional analytical, strategic thinking and problem-solving skills
- Extensive experience in at least one modern front-end framework (React, Vue, Angular, etc)
- Experience with system-level troubleshooting (understanding logs, strace, netstat, top/htop, iostat, etc.)
- Extensive experience scaling large web applications backed by Apache, Nginx, Haproxy, and other tools
- Significant coding experience in Bash, Python, PHP, or other languages that can be demonstrated through a portfolio of code
- Experience with databases, particularly MySQL and PostgreSQL
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
How you’ll work: Our Core Leadership Behaviors are the observable and measurable leadership actions and skills that contribute to our effectiveness and success in our roles at Mailchimp. They determine how we do our jobs and how we meet our goals, enabling us to bring out the best in each other and execute on our strategic plans to deliver for our customers.
- Thriving in Complexity: You unravel and make sense of potentially sophisticated, incomplete, and contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Nimble Learning: You tackle problems with experimentation, using successes and failures to inform future decisions
- Expecting the best: You hold yourself and others accountable to meet commitments
- Collaborating Courageously: You build partnerships across the company and work collaboratively with others to meet strategic goals
- Cultivating Candor: You act with integrity and earn the confidence and trust of others through honesty and authenticity
- Inclusive Leadership: You recognize the value diversity brings to our organization and leverages different perspectives to enhance organizational culture and drive performance
- Customer Obsessed: You listen hard to customers, understand their challenges, develop relationships with them, and deliver products that remove their obstacles
- Action Oriented: You initiate new opportunities and face tough challenges with a sense of energy, enthusiasm and service
*Mailchimp currently offers flexible and remote options in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Washington. If you are unable to work from one of these registered locations, you will not be eligible for employment.
The minimum base salary for this role in Colorado is $156,000. For all other locations, base salary will vary by geographic market and will will be determined through the selection and assessment process for this role relative to your experience and our job qualifications.
Curious to how hiring has shifted related to COVID-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, and London with additional remote work locations available. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing, and are working toward becoming a flexible-first organization. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender (including gender expression and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, weight, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by federal, state or local law.