Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
We are seeking an engineer to help us build and support the services that send over a billion emails per day and that millions of small businesses rely on. You’ll collaborate closely with engineers across the company to ensure our products are performant and reliable. You should be comfortable with distributed teams (as you’ll work with many folks in other locations), and also excited about building a strong, inclusive environment for everyone who joins after you.
Our ideal candidate is comfortable picking up new technologies and switching technical contexts. You value pragmatism over novelty in tooling, architecture, and language selection. You have a working knowledge of how different design patterns can influence the reliability of an application, and how different pieces of infrastructure can interact. You’re constantly working to reduce toil and implement automation and are passionate about improving the user’s experience. You've broken production environments—then fixed them and learned from the experience in a post-incident review. You provide mentorship for fellow team members and share your expertise through code reviews, office hours, Tech Talks, and other avenues.
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have experience defining technical projects, prioritizing work, identifying dependencies, developing new features, and facilitating technical and cross-functional team discussions.
- You have experience mentoring, teaching, and creating an inclusive environment for teams.
- You are comfortable working in complex production environments and seek out ways to drive ambiguity down. You seek to understand before making changes, and actively work to facilitate communication to better understand other approaches to problem solving.
- You have experience writing well-tested, observable, maintainable code in one or more programming languages. We primarily use PHP, Python, and Golang, but prior experience with these languages is not a requirement.
- You are able to make data-driven decisions and have developed an intuition for acceptable performance and reliability benchmarks. You have experience transforming metrics and raw data into dashboards and actionable alerts using tools like Grafana, Prometheus, and Kibana.
- You’re familiar with the goal of configuration management and have used tools like Puppet or Terraform to automate the delivery and operation of infrastructure.
- You have experience defining Service Level Indicators (SLIs) and Service Level Objectives (SLOs) to help teams balance reliability with engineering velocity.
- You’re curious and comfortable with troubleshooting production incidents and debugging across interconnected systems and layers (including network, command line, and application).
- You are comfortable implementing creative solutions to resolve complex technical issues that other engineers encounter during their oncall rotations.
- You are able to participate in an on-call rotation requiring availability outside of business hours.
- You embrace and demonstrate our core values of humility, creativity, and independence.
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Beltline. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
Curious how hiring has shifted at Mailchimp due to Covid-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.