Data Engineer III, Search Engineering
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
MailChimp’s Engineering Systems team is responsible for infrastructure that makes that possible. Team members work closely with our Development, Product, Support and Data Systems teams to provide the infrastructure needed to move the company and our products forward. We take a pragmatic and practical approach to our technology stacks; we use proven components and build our business logic on top of understood and supported building blocks. We are growing fast and need people who are eager to join us on this journey of learning and advancing our Engineering strategy. Our definite goal is to build a hybrid infrastructure that’ll allow us to deal with the needs of today and tomorrow while empowering our customers.
As a part of the Observability Platforms Search Engineering team, you’ll join us in maintaining, scaling, and improving our real time logging and data pipeline infrastructure. It consists of Kafka, which pushes up to 10 billion events per day, and 80+ Elasticsearch clusters that ingest 1 trillion documents. This data pipeline accounts for the 2nd largest piece of the Mailchimp infrastructure. e We provide our internal and external customers with highly available and approachable data pipelines and discovery tools. Together with the rest of the Observability Platforms, we enable Mailchimp’s understanding of business-critical processes and support the tools and features that Mailchimp’s customers use to find and fine-tune their audiences. .
What you'll do here...
- You’ll join an amazing team that designs, develops and maintains a scalable data infrastructure
- Automate processes, create tools, and build features that will improve everyone's experience with our data pipeline infrastructure
- Provide guidance to engineers on how they can best utilize the data streaming platform to gain confidence that their services are performing as expected
- Develop, communicate, and enforce standards
- Rethink and migrate the data streaming platform into a hybrid model
We'd love to hear from you if...
- You have an established interest in building and operating large scale distributed systems similar to Elasticsearch
- You’ve written APIs, tools, and web app integrations
- Exposure to data modeling, creating visualizations, and dashboarding
- Proficient Linux and networking knowledge
- Experience with Python or GoLang
- Familiarity with Elasticsearch, Solr, or CrateDB
- Familiarity with other pieces of our technical stack (Kafka, Kubernetes, PubSub)
- Ability to utilize automation and orchestration tools to build large scalable systems
- Experience with GCP or AWS
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We love Oakland and are happy to have a growing office right downtown, especially convenient to the BART.
Our headquarters are in the heart of Atlanta in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Beltline. We offer our employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
Curious to how hiring has shifted related to COVID-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.