Data Pipeline Engineer III, Search Engineering
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
MailChimp’s Engineering Systems team is responsible for infrastructure that makes that possible. Team members work closely with our Development, Product, Support and Data Systems teams to provide the infrastructure needed to move the company and our products forward. We take a pragmatic and practical approach to our technology stacks; we use proven components and build our business logic on top of understood and supported building blocks. We are growing fast and need people who are eager to join us on this journey of learning and advancing our Engineering strategy. Our definite goal is to build a hybrid infrastructure that’ll allow us to deal with the needs of today and tomorrow while empowering our customers.
As a part of the Observability Platforms Search Engineering team, you’ll join us in maintaining, scaling, and improving our real time logging and data pipeline infrastructure. It consists of Kafka, which pushes up to 10 billion events per day, and 80+ Elasticsearch clusters that ingest 1 trillion documents. This data pipeline accounts for the 2nd largest piece of the Mailchimp infrastructure. We provide our internal and external customers with highly available and approachable data pipelines and discovery tools. Together with the rest of the Observability Platforms, we enable Mailchimp’s understanding of business-critical processes and support the tools and features that Mailchimp’s customers use to find and fine-tune their audiences. .
What you'll do here:
- You’ll join an amazing team that designs, develops and maintains a scalable data infrastructure
- Automate processes, create tools, and build features that will improve everyone's experience with our data pipeline infrastructure
- Provide guidance to engineers on how they can best utilize the data streaming platform to gain confidence that their services are performing as expected
- Develop, communicate, and enforce standards
- Rethink and migrate the data streaming platform into a hybrid model
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have an established interest in building and operating large scale distributed systems similar to Elasticsearch
- You’ve written APIs, tools, and web app integrations
- Exposure to data modeling, creating visualizations, and dashboarding
- Proficient Linux and networking knowledge
- Experience with Python or GoLang
- Familiarity with Elasticsearch, Solr, or CrateDB
- Familiarity with other pieces of our technical stack (Kafka, Kubernetes, PubSub)
- Ability to utilize automation and orchestration tools to build large scalable systems
- Experience with GCP or AWS
How you'll work: Our Core Leadership Behaviors are the observable and measurable leadership actions and skills that contribute to our effectiveness and success in our roles at Mailchimp. They determine how we do our jobs and how we meet our goals, enabling us to bring out the best in each other and execute on our strategic plans to deliver for our customers.
- Thriving in Complexity: You unravel and make sense of potentially sophisticated, incomplete, and contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Nimble Learning: You tackle problems with experimentation, using successes and failures to inform future decisions
- Expecting the best: You hold yourself and others accountable to meet commitments
- Collaborating Courageously: You build partnerships across the company and work collaboratively with others to meet strategic goals
- Cultivating Candor: You act with integrity and earn the confidence and trust of others through honesty and authenticity
- Inclusive Leadership: You recognize the value diversity brings to our organization and leverages different perspectives to enhance organizational culture and drive performance
- Customer Obsessed: You listen hard to customers, understand their challenges, develop relationships with them, and deliver products that remove their obstacles
- Action Oriented: You initiate new opportunities and face tough challenges with a sense of energy, enthusiasm and service
*Mailchimp currently offers flexible and remote options in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Washington. If you are unable to work from one of these registered locations, you will not be eligible for employment.
The minimum base salary for this role in Colorado is $92,000. For all other locations, base salary will vary by geographic market and will will be determined through the selection and assessment process for this role relative to your experience and our job qualifications.
Curious how hiring has shifted at Mailchimp due to Covid-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, and London with additional remote work locations available. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing, and are a flexible-first organization. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender (including gender expression and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, weight, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by federal, state or local law.