Researcher, Market Intelligence
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
This role sits within Strategy, a new and growing function at Mailchimp that supports the creation and deployment of corporate strategy and helps guide internal teams on driving business growth.
This Researcher is focused on analyzing and understanding the broader market and how Mailchimp fits into it. An ideal candidate listens hard, observes everything, and can synthesize large amounts of information into actionable insights. They should be an experienced researcher who’s comfortable working solo or as part of a team and collaborating with Mailchimp’s Product, Marketing, and CX & Design teams, among other departments. They must be a highly skilled communicator—a trusted source of information, an excellent writer, and diplomatic colleague.
What you’ll do here:
- Act as an expert on our industry and advocate for opportunities in the market
- Lead research projects independently or in collaboration with 1-2 other researchers
- Translate research needs into project plans, set scope, define strategy, and use the appropriate methods (qualitative, quantitative, or both)
- Identify, collect, and analyze data to understand market needs and opportunities for Mailchimp’s products
- Work with colleagues in Strategy, Product, Marketing, CX & Design, etc. to assess the competitive space, product positioning, and market fit
- Manage project analysis, create of the final deliverable, and take responsibility for deadlines
- Communicate research insights and recommendations across departments and up to leadership clearly, effectively, and diplomatically (through reports, presentations, casual conversations, cross-functional team meetings, internal newsletters, emails, etc.)
- Produce research deliverables (reports, presentation decks, etc.) that require minimal editing before they’re ready to share
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- Experience leading and executing primary research projects (Minimum 2 years of research experience)
- Experience with competitive/market analysis (e.g. market sizing, market share, SWOT, etc.)
- Strong experience designing surveys, writing discussion guides, moderating interviews, analyzing data, translating findings into recommendations, and presenting work
- Experience managing 3rd party vendors (recruiting, research agencies, etc.)
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong cross-team collaboration skills
- Experience with translating research findings into actions and recommendations, while considering company and product goals
- Willingness to travel up to 2 times a year
- Experience conducting research for software companies
- Experience/knowledge of e-commerce
- International research experience
- Experience in company financial analysis and industry benchmarking
How you’ll work: Our Core Leadership Behaviors are the observable and measurable leadership actions and skills that contribute to our effectiveness and success in our roles at Mailchimp. They determine how we do our jobs and how we meet our goals, enabling us to bring out the best in each other and execute on our strategic plans to deliver for our customers.
- Thriving in Complexity: You unravel and make sense of potentially sophisticated, incomplete, and contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Nimble Learning: You tackle problems with experimentation, using successes and failures to inform future decisions
- Expecting the best: You hold yourself and others accountable to meet commitments
- Collaborating Courageously: You build partnerships across the company and work collaboratively with others to meet strategic goals
- Cultivating Candor: You act with integrity and earn the confidence and trust of others through honesty and authenticity
- Inclusive Leadership: You recognize the value diversity brings to our organization and leverages different perspectives to enhance organizational culture and drive performance
- Customer Obsessed: You listen hard to customers, understand their challenges, develop relationships with them, and deliver products that remove their obstacles
- Action Oriented: You initiate new opportunities and face tough challenges with a sense of energy, enthusiasm and service
The target base salary for this role is $96,000 to $115,000. Base salary will be determined through the selection and assessment process for this role relative to your experience and our job qualifications.
Curious to how hiring has shifted related to COVID-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, and London with additional remote work locations available. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing, and are working toward becoming a flexible-first organization. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender (including gender expression and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, weight, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by federal, state or local law.