Engineering Manager, Design Systems
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
Mailchimp is seeking an Engineering Manager to help us lead the engineering team that builds and supports our design system. You'll mentor and grow individual contributors and help lead a team that focuses on building, maintaining, and documenting the design system for the Mailchimp application. You’ll work in a highly collaborative environment with our Design and Product partners to help the team deliver solutions for our internal customers and define the larger strategy for our system. We’re looking for someone to embody the company motto of “Listen Hard, Change Fast”, who has a desire to constantly improve things (processes and technology), and is willing to question our current thinking.
What you'll do:
- Manage an inclusive team of high-performing engineers in multiple office locations.
- Collaborate closely with your cross-functional peers to help deliver successful products and services to support the organization’s overall strategy.
- Collaborate with technical leads to prioritize work, ensure the team has appropriate skills and size to accomplish goals, and ensure any roadblocks are removed from the team’s path.
- Collaborate with Engineers to help define their career path through challenging growth opportunities.
- Recognize the value of transparent, honest communication and the necessity of sharing information.
- Participate with peers and Directors to ensure the organizational structure is a help, and not a hindrance, to getting work done.
- Continually explore innovative business practices and determine fit for team and company.
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You are passionate about the career growth and self-development of our Engineers.
- You have prior experience leading engineering teams. Experience leading teams building Design Systems or UI component libraries is a huge plus.
- You have a consistent record of successful collaboration with your peers in Design and Product.
- You are patient, resilient, and willing to take on work even when it's challenging, ambiguous, or intense.
- You have a desire to pursue collaboration even when it introduces dissent. Values bringing diverse perspectives to the table. Able to balance efforts between planning and acting.
- You understand how to augment humility with the courage to propose, develop, and defend ideas you feel passionately about.
- You have a commitment to increasing efficiency in the workplace by continuously reviewing and adjusting processes, org structure, tools, etc.
How you’ll work: Our Core Leadership Behaviors are the observable and measurable leadership actions and skills that contribute to our effectiveness and success in our roles at Mailchimp. They determine how we do our jobs and how we meet our goals, enabling us to bring out the best in each other and execute on our strategic plans to deliver for our customers.
- Thriving in Complexity: You unravel and make sense of potentially sophisticated, incomplete, and contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Nimble Learning: You tackle problems with experimentation, using successes and failures to inform future decisions
- Expecting the best: You hold yourself and others accountable to meet commitments
- Collaborating Courageously: You build partnerships across the company and work collaboratively with others to meet strategic goals
- Cultivating Candor: You act with integrity and earn the confidence and trust of others through honesty and authenticity
- Inclusive Leadership: You recognize the value diversity brings to our organization and leverages different perspectives to enhance organizational culture and drive performance
- Customer Obsessed: You listen hard to customers, understand their challenges, develop relationships with them, and deliver products that remove their obstacles
- Action Oriented: You initiate new opportunities and face tough challenges with a sense of energy, enthusiasm and service
*Mailchimp currently offers flexible and remote options in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Washington. If you are unable to work from one of these registered locations, you will not be eligible for employment.
The minimum base salary for this role in Colorado is $123,000. For all other locations, base salary will vary by geographic market and will will be determined through the selection and assessment process for this role relative to your experience and our job qualifications.
Curious how hiring has shifted at Mailchimp due to Covid-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, and London with additional remote work locations available. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing, and are working toward becoming a flexible-first organization. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender (including gender expression and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, weight, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by federal, state or local law.