Software Engineer III, Data Delivery
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
The Data Systems team builds systems that bridge the gap between raw business data and consumable data products that the business can trust and take action on. We engage with business partners to define their use case, their needs, and then provide that product in the most useful format.
Our ideal candidate has a strong service-oriented mindset. They have engaged effectively with stakeholders to ensure they’re building the right systems that empower its users and allows them to pursue more ambitious project work. They foster lasting relationships that reduce barriers to pursuing ambitious work for users.
Our ideal candidate has experience operating business-critical systems at a high-level. They make tradeoffs and concessions that aim to have minimal user disruption. They’ve collaborated effectively with partner teams to build highly performant, reliable, and observable systems that produce minimal toil for operators.
Our ideal candidate takes an engineering approach to their service management. They develop tooling that reduces operational work for the entire team. They strive to spend most of their time doing project work rather than directly operating software.
What you’ll do...
- Build batch and real-time data pipeline to surface new internal and third-party data sources for easy analysis.
- Build aggregated and historical datasets, dashboards, and APIs to support getting the right data to the right people at the right time.
- Contribute to advancing goals around data governance policy creation/enforcement, business metadata cataloging, and access control.
We’d love to hear from you if …
- You show strong judgment with building systems for stakeholders.
- You collaborate effectively with cross-functional peers to advance initiatives.
- You take an engineering approach to service management.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases (e.g., MySQL, Postgres).
- Experience building and optimizing data pipelines, architectures, and data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency, and workload management.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- They should also have experience using the following software/tools:
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools (e.g., Airflow, Luigi, Oozie, Azkaban).
- Experience with GCP cloud services: BigQuery, Dataproc, Dataflow, etc. or comparable cloud platform services.
- Experience with stream-processing systems: Beam, Spark Streaming, Kafka Streams, etc. is a plus.
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, or Scala.
- Experience with Looker a plus.
- Experience with Alation a plus.
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field, OR equivalent years of relevant experience.
How you’ll work: Our Core Leadership Behaviors are the observable and measurable leadership actions and skills that contribute to our effectiveness and success in our roles at Mailchimp. They determine how we do our jobs and how we meet our goals, enabling us to bring out the best in each other and execute on our strategic plans to deliver for our customers.
- Thriving in Complexity: You unravel and make sense of potentially sophisticated, incomplete, and contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Nimble Learning: You tackle problems with experimentation, using successes and failures to inform future decisions
- Expecting the best: You hold yourself and others accountable to meet commitments
- Collaborating Courageously: You build partnerships across the company and work collaboratively with others to meet strategic goals
- Cultivating Candor: You act with integrity and earn the confidence and trust of others through honesty and authenticity
- Inclusive Leadership: You recognize the value diversity brings to our organization and leverages different perspectives to enhance organizational culture and drive performance
- Customer Obsessed: You listen hard to customers, understand their challenges, develop relationships with them, and deliver products that remove their obstacles
- Action Oriented: You initiate new opportunities and face tough challenges with a sense of energy, enthusiasm and service
*Mailchimp currently offers flexible and remote options in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Washington. If you are unable to work from one of these registered locations, you will not be eligible for employment.
The minimum base salary for this role in Colorado is $100,000. For all other locations, base salary will vary by geographic market and will be determined through the selection and assessment process for this role relative to your experience and our job qualifications.
Curious how hiring has shifted at Mailchimp due to Covid-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, and London with additional remote work locations available. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing, and are working toward becoming a flexible-first organization. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender (including gender expression and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, weight, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by federal, state or local law.