Senior Software Engineer, Abuse Prevention
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
The Abuse Prevention team consists of engineers and analysts who protect MailChimp's reputation, systems, and users (and their audiences) by programmatically enforcing our Terms of Service and preventing abuse of our platform. We develop a comprehensive set of software products to achieve this mission, and we're looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join the team. We offer flexible hours with telecommute options; right now we're all working from home until the pandemic is over. You'll report to our Director of Engineering responsible for Abuse Prevention.
You are an experienced programmer who enjoys the complexities involved in implementing new features in an existing codebase and building new systems and services. You enjoy writing code, but you're aware that your job isn't done when that code gets deployed: you also enjoy working with other teams across the organization to ensure MailChimp's overall needs are met and to keep applications healthy. You enjoy solving interesting new problems. You've broken production environments—and then buckled down and fixed them. We don't care about pedigree or what languages or stacks you've worked in, we're just looking for great engineers.
What you'll do:
- Work with teams across the organization to understand problems and trends and to collaborate on solutions (e.g., Customer Support & Compliance, Legal, Security, Data Science, Delivery)
- Develop scalable, efficient systems to prevent abuse/misuse of the MailChimp application, help ensure user accounts are protected, and provide tools and utilities for related functions
- Set technical direction for and lead the design and implementation of the systems that you'll help build
- Provide mentorship for and share expertise with teammates through code reviews, contribution to documentation libraries, tech talks, and other avenues
- Research and propose new approaches to work, new tools, and new best practices for the team
- Work with immediate and extended team members to respond to unplanned incidents and production needs
- Participate in an on call rotation
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have 5+ years experience in a software development environment
- You have experience developing application architectures and code that are scalable, available, and performant
- You ensure quality by performing testing and using peer reviews for your work and the work of others
- You help scope, estimate, and prioritize work
- You value sharing knowledge and document your work
- You can modify your approach depending on audience to deliver messages
- You can manage the technical aspects of projects, ensuring they meet commitments and goals
*Mailchimp currently offers flexible and remote options in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Washington. If you are unable to work from one of these registered locations, you will not be eligible for employment.
The minimum base salary for this role in Colorado is $121,000. For all other locations, base salary will vary by geographic market and will be determined through the selection and assessment process for this role relative to your experience and our job qualifications.
Curious to how hiring has shifted related to COVID-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, and London with additional remote work locations available. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing, and are working toward becoming a flexible-first organization. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.