Senior Software Engineer
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
The Abuse Prevention team consists of engineers and analysts who protect Mailchimp's reputation, systems, and users (and their audiences) by programmatically enforcing our Terms of Service and preventing abuse of our platform. We develop a comprehensive set of software products to achieve this mission, and we're looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join the team. We offer flexible hours with telecommute options; right now we're all working from home until the pandemic is over. You'll report to our Director of Engineering responsible for Abuse Prevention.
You are an experienced programmer who enjoys the complexities involved in implementing new features in an existing codebase and building new systems and services. You enjoy writing code, but you're aware that your job isn't done when that code gets deployed: you also enjoy working with other teams across the organization to ensure Mailchimp's overall needs are met and to keep applications healthy. You enjoy solving interesting new problems. You've broken production environments—and then buckled down and fixed them. We don't care about pedigree or what languages or stacks you've worked in, we're just looking for great engineers.
What you'll do:
- Work with teams across the organization to understand problems and trends and to collaborate on solutions (e.g., Customer Support & Compliance, Legal, Security, Data Science, Delivery)
- Develop scalable, efficient systems to prevent abuse/misuse of the Mailchimp application, help ensure user accounts are protected, and provide tools and utilities for related functions
- Set technical direction for and lead the design and implementation of the systems that you'll help build
- Provide mentorship for and share expertise with teammates through code reviews, contribution to documentation libraries, tech talks, and other avenues
- Research and propose new approaches to work, new tools, and new best practices for the team
- Work with immediate and extended team members to respond to unplanned incidents and production needs
- Participate in an on call rotation
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have 5+ years experience in a software development environment
- You have experience developing application architectures and code that are scalable, available, and performant
- You ensure quality by performing testing and using peer reviews for your work and the work of others
- You help scope, estimate, and prioritize work
- You value sharing knowledge and document your work
- You can modify your approach depending on audience to deliver messages
- You can manage the technical aspects of projects, ensuring they meet commitments and goals
How you’ll work: Our Core Leadership Behaviors are the observable and measurable leadership actions and skills that contribute to our effectiveness and success in our roles at Mailchimp. They determine how we do our jobs and how we meet our goals, enabling us to bring out the best in each other and execute on our strategic plans to deliver for our customers.
- Thriving in Complexity: You unravel and make sense of potentially sophisticated, incomplete, and contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Nimble Learning: You tackle problems with experimentation, using successes and failures to inform future decisions
- Expecting the best: You hold yourself and others accountable to meet commitments
- Collaborating Courageously: You build partnerships across the company and work collaboratively with others to meet strategic goals
- Cultivating Candor: You act with integrity and earn the confidence and trust of others through honesty and authenticity
- Inclusive Leadership: You recognize the value diversity brings to our organization and leverages different perspectives to enhance organizational culture and drive performance
- Customer Obsessed: You listen hard to customers, understand their challenges, develop relationships with them, and deliver products that remove their obstacles
- Action Oriented: You initiate new opportunities and face tough challenges with a sense of energy, enthusiasm and service
*Mailchimp currently offers flexible and remote options in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Washington. If you are unable to work from one of these registered locations, you will not be eligible for employment.
The minimum base salary for this role in Colorado is $121,000. For all other locations, base salary will vary by geographic market and will be determined through the selection and assessment process for this role relative to your experience and our job qualifications.
Curious to how hiring has shifted related to COVID-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, and London with additional remote work locations available. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing, and are working toward becoming a flexible-first organization. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender (including gender expression and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, weight, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by federal, state or local law.