Senior Data Scientist
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
The Data Science team builds applications that make sense of the data created by Mailchimp’s millions of users. We use cutting-edge machine learning models, advanced natural language processing and image processing, to save our users time, increase their productivity and make them better marketers. We help them improve targeting and boost marketing and revenue using smart recommendations, create smarter and on-brand content, reach the right audience, and improve campaign performance with our data-driven tools.
The ideal candidate is a self-directed, experienced data scientist who believes in demonstrating how data can be used to help our customers. You love new challenges, but you're skeptical of the new hotness. You’ve run analyses using various tools, but you're partial to Python. Communication and cross-validation are tools you use every day.
What you'll do here:
- You will develop advanced machine learning, natural language processing and image processing models for our predictive applications as well as improve existing ones using Python’s scientific computing stack
- Create smart prescriptive systems using state-of-art recommendation algorithms
- Develop sophisticated marketing conversion optimization algorithms
- Create models to generate content (text and images) for our users
- Work to improve quality and mitigate bias in Mailchimp data systems
- Embrace and demonstrate our values: humility, creativity, and independence
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have 4+ years experience working on data science projects or applications
- Experience creating animations or GIFs from images
- Development experience in a scientific programming language (Python, R, Matlab, Julia)
- Understanding of statistical analysis and machine learning techniques
- Experience in database systems (SQL or NoSQL)
- Experience with Cloud platforms (Google Cloud, AWS...)
- Ability to communicate methods and results of analyses
Bonus points if you have:
- An advanced degree in quantitative or technical field
- A unique background or expertise that gives you perspective into marketing or design
How you’ll work: Our Core Leadership Behaviors are the observable and measurable leadership actions and skills that contribute to our effectiveness and success in our roles at Mailchimp. They determine how we do our jobs and how we meet our goals, enabling us to bring out the best in each other and execute on our strategic plans to deliver for our customers.
- Thriving in Complexity: You unravel and make sense of potentially sophisticated, incomplete, and contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Nimble Learning: You tackle problems with experimentation, using successes and failures to inform future decisions
- Expecting the best: You hold yourself and others accountable to meet commitments
- Collaborating Courageously: You build partnerships across the company and work collaboratively with others to meet strategic goals
- Cultivating Candor: You act with integrity and earn the confidence and trust of others through honesty and authenticity
- Inclusive Leadership: You recognize the value diversity brings to our organization and leverages different perspectives to enhance organizational culture and drive performance
- Customer Obsessed: You listen hard to customers, understand their challenges, develop relationships with them, and deliver products that remove their obstacles
- Action Oriented: You initiate new opportunities and face tough challenges with a sense of energy, enthusiasm and service
*Mailchimp currently offers flexible and remote options in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Washington. If you are unable to work from one of these registered locations, you will not be eligible for employment.
The minimum base salary for this role in Colorado is $134,000. For all other locations, base salary will vary by geographic market and will be determined through the selection and assessment process for this role relative to your experience and our job qualifications.
Curious how hiring has shifted at Mailchimp due to Covid-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, and London with additional remote work locations available. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing, and are working toward becoming a flexible-first organization. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender (including gender expression and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, weight, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by federal, state or local law.