Senior Accountant, Indirect Tax
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
The Indirect Tax Senior Accountant will be responsible for US sales & use tax and international VAT/GST compliance. You will help scale the indirect tax function at Mailchimp to meet a changing tax landscape and growing company needs. You will report to the Tax Manager.
What you’ll do here:
- Sales and use tax compliance, specifically supporting with the preparation of data and review of returns prepared by outside service providers
- VAT/GST compliance, specifically supporting with the preparation of data, filing returns, reviewing work prepared by outside service providers
- Maintain compliance calendar to ensure all filing and payment deadlines are met
- Manage customer exemption certificate collection and review process
- Assist with tax registrations and renewals
- Notice resolution and related correspondence from taxing authorities
- Research and document tax treatment of Mailchimp’s products and services
- Help monitor global tax legislative changes and impacts on Mailchimp
- Help refine tax processes and internal controls in place
- Work collaboratively with billing support team in response to indirect tax questions from customers
- Assist with other department tax projects as needed
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field or equivalent experience
- You are preferably CPA or CPA eligible
- You have 3-5 years of experience with indirect taxation (sales and use tax, VAT, GST)
- You are detail oriented and precise in your work
- You have proven ability work independently and manage deadlines
- You are a strong communicator when delivering technical information to cross functional stakeholders
- You have extensive experience with Excel
Bonus points for:
- OneSource and TaxJar experience is a plus
- Technology/SaaS experience preferred
- Master’s degree in accounting
How you’ll work: Our Core Leadership Behaviors are the observable and measurable leadership actions and skills that contribute to our effectiveness and success in our roles at Mailchimp. They determine how we do our jobs and how we meet our goals, enabling us to bring out the best in each other and execute on our strategic plans to deliver for our customers.
- Thriving in Complexity: You unravel and make sense of potentially sophisticated, incomplete, and contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Nimble Learning: You tackle problems with experimentation, using successes and failures to inform future decisions
- Expecting the best: You hold yourself and others accountable to meet commitments
- Collaborating Courageously: You build partnerships across the company and work collaboratively with others to meet strategic goals
- Cultivating Candor: You act with integrity and earn the confidence and trust of others through honesty and authenticity
- Inclusive Leadership: You recognize the value diversity brings to our organization and leverages different perspectives to enhance organizational culture and drive performance
- Customer Obsessed: You listen hard to customers, understand their challenges, develop relationships with them, and deliver products that remove their obstacles
- Action Oriented: You initiate new opportunities and face tough challenges with a sense of energy, enthusiasm and service
The target base salary for this role is $96,000 to $115,000. Base salary will be determined through the selection and assessment process for this role relative to your experience and our job qualifications.
Curious how hiring has shifted at Mailchimp due to Covid-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, and London with additional remote work locations available. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing, and are working toward becoming a flexible-first organization. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender (including gender expression and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, weight, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by federal, state or local law.