Engineering Manager, Mobile
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
Mobile engineering team builds Mailchimp iOS and Android apps, as part of our all-in-one marketing platform. As an all-in-one marketing platform, Mailchimp is growing fast and is working on new products to help small businesses grow. Leveraging many unique features built for Mobile, Mailchimp Mobile apps are desktop “companions” serving our customers while they are on-the-go. Mailchimp Mobile engineers enjoy the camaraderie of a mobile-specific product team. We are curious builders who make a big impact by embracing creativity and independence — your thoughts and ideas can quickly turn into valuable assets.
We are hiring an Engineering Manager to lead a team of Android, iOS and backend engineers, and to manage mobile apps delivery. The ideal candidate will be focused on enabling a team of engineers to do their best work. You will work closely with cross functional teams to identify and refine opportunities for solving mobile customer needs. You will have a strong technical aptitude to provide valuable direction and insight, but you will prefer enabling team members, rather than creating the solutions yourself.
What you’ll do:
- Lead and grow a high performing, diverse team of 6 - 8 Mobile engineers on collaborative product teams.
- Provide 1:1 coaching and mentoring to engineers. Communicate effectively to peer managers and members of leadership.
- Cultivate healthy channels for communication, review, feedback, and decision making. Facilitate open and honest dialog within the team, drawing on the broad experiences and diverse perspectives of team members. Lean on Senior and above level engineers to make technical decisions.
- Maintain a sense of camaraderie, cooperation, and collaboration among team members. Support and encourage those who face challenging situations.
- Align groups of people along shared goals and establish flexible systems for ensuring accountability. Support employees in their skill development in ways that meet both strategic organizational goals and their individual objectives.
- Recognize when it's necessary to talk through difficult topics and deliver clear, candid, and actionable feedback. Coordinate healthy discussions, and work to establish consent when consensus is unattainable.
- Cultivate and solicit honest feedback about your own performance. Apply criticism and mistakes as an opportunity to learn without assigning blame or entrenching regret.
- Promote continuous improvement of engineering practices including code, architecture, platform automations, release and maintenances.
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have 5+ years of combined experience as an engineer and a leader of engineering teams, and:
- You are passionate about career growth and self-development of engineers, and you love listening to engineers and helping them succeed in their career path.
- You are patient, resilient, and willing to take on work even when it's challenging, ambiguous, or intense.
- You understand how to augment humility with the courage to propose, develop, and defend ideas you feel passionately about.
- You have demonstrated the ability to guide engineers based on your understanding of technologies and your knowledge of best practices to build products.
- You are committed to increasing efficiency in the workplace by continuously reviewing and adjusting processes, org structure, tools, etc.
- You have successfully run the day-to-day Agile scrum process for a software development team, and you are energized by the journey of building excellent products that improve people’s lives.
- You have the ability to dive into code, grasp architecture and operational concerns and communicate with technology teams.
- You have knowledge of how to release and support apps in the App Store and Google Play store.
How you’ll work: Our Core Leadership Behaviors are the observable and measurable leadership actions and skills that contribute to our effectiveness and success in our roles at Mailchimp. They determine how we do our jobs and how we meet our goals, enabling us to bring out the best in each other and execute on our strategic plans to deliver for our customers.
- Thriving in Complexity: You unravel and make sense of potentially sophisticated, incomplete, and contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Nimble Learning: You tackle problems with experimentation, using successes and failures to inform future decisions
- Expecting the best: You hold yourself and others accountable to meet commitments
- Collaborating Courageously: You build partnerships across the company and work collaboratively with others to meet strategic goals
- Cultivating Candor: You act with integrity and earn the confidence and trust of others through honesty and authenticity
- Inclusive Leadership: You recognize the value diversity brings to our organization and leverages different perspectives to enhance organizational culture and drive performance
- Customer Obsessed: You listen hard to customers, understand their challenges, develop relationships with them, and deliver products that remove their obstacles
- Action Oriented: You initiate new opportunities and face tough challenges with a sense of energy, enthusiasm and service
*Mailchimp currently offers flexible and remote options in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Washington. If you are unable to work from one of these registered locations, you will not be eligible for employment.
The minimum base salary for this role in Colorado is $123,000. For all other locations, base salary will vary by geographic market and will be determined through the selection and assessment process for this role relative to your experience and our job qualifications.
Curious how hiring has shifted at Mailchimp due to Covid-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, and London with additional remote work locations available. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing, and are working toward becoming a flexible-first organization. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender (including gender expression and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, weight, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by federal, state or local law.