Software Systems Engineer
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
The Data Services teams build systems that bridge the gap between raw business data and consumable data products that the business can trust and take action on. We engage with business partners to define their use case, their needs, and then provide that product in the most useful format.
Our ideal candidate has a strong service-oriented mindset. They have engaged effectively with stakeholders to ensure they’re building the right systems that empower its users and allows them to pursue more ambitious project work. They foster lasting relationships that reduce barriers to pursuing ambitious work for users.
Most of our teams have at least one distributed member, so we encourage flexible working hours and some telecommuting but you should plan to be in the office most days. We’re willing to help you with relocation if you’re not currently local to one of our offices!
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have experience driving technical projects, prioritizing work, identifying dependencies, facilitating technical decisions and cross-functional team discussions.
- You can work independently while also putting an emphasis on mentorship of those around you.
- You show strong judgment with building systems for stakeholders.
- You take an engineering approach to service management.
What you'll do:
- Define a suitable systems architecture and design for analytical solutions that takes into account various data sources and business use cases, including effective governance standards for transparency, data quality, and communication.
- Be an evangelist in the company for data-informed thinking and decision-making; and develop documentation to enhance data literacy across the organization.
- Stay up to date on new tools & techniques in the data space.
- Interface with vendors, as needed, to drive optimal integration patterns between 1st and 3rd party applications and platforms.
- Empower team members - including other developers as well as Technical Support and QA - through technical mentoring, contributions to the team’s documentation libraries, and providing automation for manual tasks where appropriate.
- Define and adhere to internal coding standards, development processes, and design best practices.
- Ensure quality by performing thorough testing and leveraging peer reviews for your work and the work of cross functional teams.
- Embrace and demonstrate our values: humility, creativity, and independence.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with multi-sourced datasets.
- Build and document processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency, and workload management.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- They should also have experience using the following software/tools:
- Experience with GCP cloud services: BigQuery, Dataproc, Dataflow, etc. or comparable cloud platform services.
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, or Scala.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field, OR equivalent years of relevant experience.
Bonus Points for:
- Experience with Customer Experience and/or Marketing measurement platforms, such as FullStory, Qualtrics, Optimizely, Google Marketing Suite, Measured, and/or LiveRamp.
- Experience with analytics tools such as Looker and Alation
How you’ll work: Our Core Leadership Behaviors are the observable and measurable leadership actions and skills that contribute to our effectiveness and success in our roles at Mailchimp. They determine how we do our jobs and how we meet our goals, enabling us to bring out the best in each other and execute on our strategic plans to deliver for our customers.
- Thriving in Complexity: You unravel and make sense of potentially sophisticated, incomplete, and contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Nimble Learning: You tackle problems with experimentation, using successes and failures to inform future decisions
- Expecting the best: You hold yourself and others accountable to meet commitments
- Collaborating Courageously: You build partnerships across the company and work collaboratively with others to meet strategic goals
- Cultivating Candor: You act with integrity and earn the confidence and trust of others through honesty and authenticity
- Inclusive Leadership: You recognize the value diversity brings to our organization and leverages different perspectives to enhance organizational culture and drive performance
- Customer Obsessed: You listen hard to customers, understand their challenges, develop relationships with them, and deliver products that remove their obstacles
- Action Oriented: You initiate new opportunities and face tough challenges with a sense of energy, enthusiasm and service
*Mailchimp currently offers flexible and remote options in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Washington. If you are unable to work from one of these registered locations, you will not be eligible for employment.
The minimum base salary for this role in Colorado is $117,000.00. For all other locations, base salary will vary by geographic market and will be determined through the selection and assessment process for this role relative to your experience and our job qualifications.
Curious how hiring has shifted at Mailchimp due to Covid-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, and London with additional remote work locations available. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing, and are working toward becoming a flexible-first organization. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender (including gender expression and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, weight, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by federal, state or local law.