Systems Engineer II
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
Mailchimp’s Operations team is responsible for infrastructure that makes that possible. Team members work closely with our Development, Marketing, and Data Research teams to provide the infrastructure needed to move the company and our products forward. We take a pragmatic and practical approach to our stacks; we use tried and true components and build our own logic and complexity on top of well understood building blocks. We are growing fast and need people who can help advance our infrastructure to take care of the needs of today and tomorrow.
We are seeking an individual to be part of the Foundry team which focuses on creating and maintaining tooling to manage internal hardware and network management services in colo and in the cloud. You will have experience working in a dynamic environment where you are responsible for helping maintain a large infrastructure. You should enjoy the challenge of troubleshooting production issues as well as looking out at the horizon and planning the future of our infrastructure.
What you'll do here:
- Work from Seattle, WA and manage the on-premises work at our Seattle data center handling various hardware requests and maintenance, going on-site as needed (around 2 times per week)
- Guarantee reliable and accessible availability of the company’s data
- Consult on individual server-level file systems and storage systems, including emerging technologies
- Help coordinate maintenance, upgrades, and on call schedules
- Represent the Foundry team in your interactions with the other teams in the department
- Participate in code reviews, technical reviews, architecture improvements, and defining technical solutions
- Participate in presenting team accomplishments internally and externally (showcases, blog posts, public speaking)
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- Experience writing APIs, tools, and scripts (such as Python, Golang, or Bash)
- Experience running VMWare in a production environment
- Experience with Puppet or some other config management (Salt, Ansible, Chef, etc.)
- A working comprehension of Linux administration
- Experience with cloud technologies (AWS / Google Cloud)
- The ability to work Independently and has above average time management skills
- Experience with colo data centers (design, cable management, server / network maintenance, large datasets)
Bonus points for:
- Experience with Ceph (or other distributed storage platforms)
- Familiarity with other pieces of our technical stack (nginx, HAProxy, KVM)
- Understanding of Linux filesystem technologies (knowledge of ZFS or mdadm a plus)
- Experience with administration of FreeBSD
- Experience with git or other version control
How you’ll work: Our Core Leadership Behaviors are the observable and measurable leadership actions and skills that contribute to our effectiveness and success in our roles at Mailchimp. They determine how we do our jobs and how we meet our goals, enabling us to bring out the best in each other and execute on our strategic plans to deliver for our customers.
- Thriving in Complexity: You unravel and make sense of potentially sophisticated, incomplete, and contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Nimble Learning: You tackle problems with experimentation, using successes and failures to inform future decisions
- Expecting the best: You hold yourself and others accountable to meet commitments
- Collaborating Courageously: You build partnerships across the company and work collaboratively with others to meet strategic goals
- Cultivating Candor: You act with integrity and earn the confidence and trust of others through honesty and authenticity
- Inclusive Leadership: You recognize the value diversity brings to our organization and leverages different perspectives to enhance organizational culture and drive performance
- Customer Obsessed: You listen hard to customers, understand their challenges, develop relationships with them, and deliver products that remove their obstacles
- Action Oriented: You initiate new opportunities and face tough challenges with a sense of energy, enthusiasm and service
The target base salary for this role is $90,000 to $103,000. Base salary will be determined through the selection and assessment process for this role relative to your experience and our job qualifications.
Curious how hiring has shifted at Mailchimp due to Covid-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, and London with additional remote work locations available. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing, and are a flexible-first organization. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender (including gender expression and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, weight, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by federal, state or local law.