Systems Engineer Intern
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
At Mailchimp, our internship program focuses on giving our interns opportunities to get hands-on experience and contribute to real-world business projects alongside our full-time peeps. Over the years, we've had the privilege to bring on some of the brightest, most talented students from around the world to help grow our brand. Mailchimp designed our 12 week paid internship program to help students grow their skillset, create lasting connections, and do meaningful work. Along with helping our interns grow professionally, we're also committed to their personal growth and provide various soft skill classes while also hosting fun events along the way!
Our program is open to students enrolled in undergraduate, graduate, bootcamp, and online courses - all candidates must be enrolled through the duration of the program.
This role is based in Georgia and any candidates who accept an offer for this position is expected to reside in the state of Georgia throughout the duration of the internship.
Start Dates: May 16th & June 6th
The Operations team keeps the lights on at Mailchimp—they’re responsible for infrastructure, as well as provisioning, configuring, and monitoring the services in our datacenter. The team is looking for a Systems Engineer Intern to join their ranks. As a Systems Engineer Intern, you will help build, maintain, and improve our infrastructure to support the 1800+ servers that back this growth.
What you'll do:
Contributing to our mission you will complete a complex project from development through deployment as well as collaborating on production issues. You will configure advanced monitoring through open source tools (Zabbix, Graphite, Kibana, Prometheus) and customized scripts (Bash, Python, Go) while working with Ops engineers to resolve production issues that arise during the work day. You’ll get hands on experience with our provisioning process and configuration management (Puppet) to help us scale our growing infrastructure that consists of bare metal servers, VMs, and containers (Kubernetes).
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- Educational experience with Linux (CentOS specifically is a plus)
- Experience with Bash or Python
- An understanding of relational databases such as MySql (knowledge of distributed datastores such as Kafka, and Elasticsearch a plus but not required)
- A pragmatic, self-directed, and empowered to get work done attitude
- A passion for operational redundancy at every level of distributed systems
- An interest to test, monitor and automate as much as possible while practicing defense in depth, because you like to sleep through the night
- An understanding of basic networking principles (OSI Model) is a plus
How you’ll work: Our Core Leadership Behaviors are the observable and measurable leadership actions and skills that contribute to our effectiveness and success in our roles at Mailchimp. They determine how we do our jobs and how we meet our goals, enabling us to bring out the best in each other and execute on our strategic plans to deliver for our customers.
- Thriving in Complexity: You unravel and make sense of potentially sophisticated, incomplete, and contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Nimble Learning: You tackle problems with experimentation, using successes and failures to inform future decisions
- Expecting the best: You hold yourself and others accountable to meet commitments
- Collaborating Courageously: You build partnerships across the company and work collaboratively with others to meet strategic goals
- Cultivating Candor: You act with integrity and earn the confidence and trust of others through honesty and authenticity
- Inclusive Leadership: You recognize the value diversity brings to our organization and leverages different perspectives to enhance organizational culture and drive performance
- Customer Obsessed: You listen hard to customers, understand their challenges, develop relationships with them, and deliver products that remove their obstacles
- Action Oriented: You initiate new opportunities and face tough challenges with a sense of energy, enthusiasm and service
Curious how hiring has shifted at Mailchimp due to Covid-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, and London with additional remote work locations available. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing, and are a flexible-first organization. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender (including gender expression and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, weight, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by federal, state or local law.