Engineering Manager, SRE
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
We’re looking to hire an experienced manager to lead the Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) Operations team. SRE's ensure that the MailChimp application deploys and runs reliably in production. We reduce toil by implementing instrumentation and improving observability of running applications. We automate manual tasks so that there are fewer opportunities for errors to occur. We take responsibility for making sure that completed application code runs quickly and reliably.
SRE managers work to unlock the potential of the other members of the team by ensuring that their colleagues are unblocked and connected with the support and resources they need to do their best work in support of the team goals.
What you'll do here:
- You'll cultivate healthy channels for communication, review, and feedback. Clearly and effectively communicate across departments, teams, and management tiers.
- You'll maintain a sense of camaraderie, cooperation, and collaboration among team members. Insure that members of the team feel psychologically safe. Support and encourage those who face challenging situations.
- You'll build a common mindset by aligning groups of people along shared goals. Recognize team members' desire to do good work, cultivate their intrinsic motivations and strengths, and connect them with the resources they need to be successful. Establish flexible systems for ensuring accountability.
- You'll provide coaching, mentoring, and encouragement to team members. Effectively acknowledge and reward both individual and team efforts. Support employees in their skill development in ways that meet both strategic organizational goals and their individual objectives.
- You'll recognize when it's necessary to talk through difficult topics and deliver clear, candid, and actionable feedback. Prevent conflict from lingering longer than necessary by focusing on working through issues quickly, productively, and with a minimal disturbance.
- You'll facilitate open and honest dialog within the team, drawing on the broad experiences and diverse perspectives of team members. Coordinate healthy discussions, and work to establish consent when consensus is unattainable.
- You'll cultivate and solicit honest feedback about your own performance. Put in time and energy to learn to be more effective when coaching, delivering feedback, and developing others, and to understand unfamiliar technologies, tools, and systems.
- You'll utilize failure as an opportunity to learn and grow. Apply criticism and mistakes as an opportunities to learn without assigning blame or entrenching regret.
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You can recognize the value of transparent, honest communication and the necessity of sharing information.
- You communicate confidently, write capably, and present effectively to groups of 5-10 people.
- You are patient, resilient, and willing to take on work even when it's challenging, ambiguous, or intense.
- You deliver clear, effective feedback even when it’s difficult or intimidating.
- You demonstrate self confidence while remaining open-minded. Willing to consider things from other points-of-view and consider the impact on others; comfortable being proven wrong.
- You desire to pursue collaboration even when it introduces dissent. Values bringing diverse points-of-view to the table. Able to balance efforts between planning and acting.
- You understand how to augment humility with the courage to propose, develop, and defend ideas they feel passionately about.
- You are introspective; able to gauge how their own mood and perspective impacts their interpretation of others' behavior, and how their own strengths and weaknesses can support or derail the work of others they interact with.
- You have experience with one or more of the following:
- Experience leading teams, bonus points for leadership experience in a operations or development capacity
- Familiarity with software and/or systems engineering technologies, tools, and practices
- Programming experience
How you’ll work: Our Core Leadership Behaviors are the observable and measurable leadership actions and skills that contribute to our effectiveness and success in our roles at Mailchimp. They determine how we do our jobs and how we meet our goals, enabling us to bring out the best in each other and execute on our strategic plans to deliver for our customers.
- Thriving in Complexity: You unravel and make sense of potentially sophisticated, incomplete, and contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Nimble Learning: You tackle problems with experimentation, using successes and failures to inform future decisions
- Expecting the best: You hold yourself and others accountable to meet commitments
- Collaborating Courageously: You build partnerships across the company and work collaboratively with others to meet strategic goals
- Cultivating Candor: You act with integrity and earn the confidence and trust of others through honesty and authenticity
- Inclusive Leadership: You recognize the value diversity brings to our organization and leverages different perspectives to enhance organizational culture and drive performance
- Customer Obsessed: You listen hard to customers, understand their challenges, develop relationships with them, and deliver products that remove their obstacles
- Action Oriented: You initiate new opportunities and face tough challenges with a sense of energy, enthusiasm and service
At Mailchimp, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We don’t just accept differences, we celebrate them, support them, and hire peeps from a wide variety of backgrounds because it makes our company stronger. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience aligns with what we’re looking for (even if you don’t check every single box), please consider applying!
Mailchimp is an all-in-one marketing platform for growing businesses. Mailchimp empowers millions of customers around the world to start and grow their businesses with world-class marketing technology, award-winning customer support, and inspiring content. Millions of businesses and individuals—from community organizations to Fortune 100 companies—trust Mailchimp to help them connect with their audience with the right message, at the right time, in the right place.
Founded in 2001 and based in Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, London, and Santa Monica, Mailchimp has 1,200+ employees. Through Intuit, we offer employees competitive compensation, best in class perks and benefits. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed. Find Mailchimp on social.
Vaccination Policy: We are requiring that employees who come onsite be vaccinated. Unless prohibited by applicable law, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a requirement for any position at Mailchimp/Intuit that necessitates coming onsite and/or in-person business activity. Qualified applicants who wold like to request an accommodation (exception) on the basis of a qualifying medical condition/disability or sincerely-held religious belief should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender (including gender expression and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, weight, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information, or any other factor protected by federal, state or local law. Mailchimp also prohibits harassment of applicants and employees based on any of these protected categories, and complies with all applicable state and federal laws respecting consideration of unemployment status in making hiring decisions.