Director of Internal Communications
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small businesses. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaigns, commerce, CRM and analytics tools.
We’re looking for a Director of Internal Communications to lead employee communication strategy and programs at Mailchimp. This includes managing our internal communications team and working with leaders across the company to create and execute communication initiatives and engage our employees. Our internal communications team is responsible for executive communications and company-wide channels including our company intranet, email, Slack, all-hands meetings, and digital signage at our offices.
We’re looking for a strategic and creative leader who values open and honest two-way communication, and can rally employees around business goals and company-wide changes and keep them engaged and aligned with Mailchimp’s mission and vision. Every day is different in this role—in one day, the Director of Internal Communications might write a memo for the COO, oversee a prep session for an upcoming town hall, review a proposal for an internal blog series, and lead a meeting where our Communications Partners provide updates from the teams they support.
This position reports to the Chief Communications Officer and is part of the Communications and Corporate Affairs (CCA) department. The CCA department is made up of several key functions—Internal and Corporate Communications, as well as Corporate Citizenship and Public Affairs—and we all work together to drive Mailchimp’s brand, reputation, employee alignment, and customer focus forward.
What you’ll do here:
- Manage Mailchimp’s internal communications team (4-5 direct reports)
- Create and execute company-wide communication strategies and programs
- Work with leaders from across the company to support department-level and company-level communications
- Collaborate with communications leadership at Intuit’s Small Business and Self-Employed group to get corporate messages out to Mailchimp employees and ensure alignment across the organizations
- Write and review executive communications (memos, presentations, blog posts, leadership announcements)
- Plan monthly all-hands meetings, executive fireside chats, and other company-wide events
We’d love to hear from you if:
- Experience managing, building, mentoring, and inspiring a communications team
- Experience leading internal communications initiatives at a growing company
- Executive communications experience
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Experience with change management and comfortable working in a fast-paced, frequently changing, and evolving environment
- You pay attention to detail, and have outstanding work habits, enthusiasm, and a consistently positive outlook in your daily work
- Preferred experience in the technology industry
- An understanding of Mailchimp’s product, business, and customer base
How you’ll work: Our Core Leadership Behaviors are the observable and measurable leadership actions and skills that contribute to our effectiveness and success in our roles at Mailchimp. They determine how we do our jobs and how we meet our goals, enabling us to bring out the best in each other and execute on our strategic plans to deliver for our customers.
- Thriving in Complexity: You unravel and make sense of potentially sophisticated, incomplete, and contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Nimble Learning: You tackle problems with experimentation, using successes and failures to inform future decisions
- Expecting the best: You hold yourself and others accountable to meet commitments
- Collaborating Courageously: You build partnerships across the company and work collaboratively with others to meet strategic goals
- Cultivating Candor: You act with integrity and earn the confidence and trust of others through honesty and authenticity
- Inclusive Leadership: You recognize the value diversity brings to our organization and leverages different perspectives to enhance organizational culture and drive performance
- Customer Obsessed: You listen hard to customers, understand their challenges, develop relationships with them, and deliver products that remove their obstacles
- Action Oriented: You initiate new opportunities and face tough challenges with a sense of energy, enthusiasm and service
At Mailchimp, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We don’t just accept differences, we celebrate them, support them, and hire peeps from a wide variety of backgrounds because it makes our company stronger. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience aligns with what we’re looking for (even if you don’t check every single box), please consider applying!
Mailchimp is an all-in-one marketing platform for growing businesses. Mailchimp empowers millions of customers around the world to start and grow their businesses with world-class marketing technology, award-winning customer support, and inspiring content. Millions of businesses and individuals—from community organizations to Fortune 100 companies—trust Mailchimp to help them connect with their audience with the right message, at the right time, in the right place.
Founded in 2001 and based in Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, London, and Santa Monica, Mailchimp has 1,200+ employees. Through Intuit, we offer employees competitive compensation, best in class perks and benefits. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed. Find Mailchimp on social.
Vaccination Policy: We are requiring that employees who come onsite be vaccinated. Unless prohibited by applicable law, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a requirement for any position at Mailchimp/Intuit that necessitates coming onsite and/or in-person business activity. Qualified applicants who wold like to request an accommodation (exception) on the basis of a qualifying medical condition/disability or sincerely-held religious belief should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender (including gender expression and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, weight, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information, or any other factor protected by federal, state or local law. Mailchimp also prohibits harassment of applicants and employees based on any of these protected categories, and complies with all applicable state and federal laws respecting consideration of unemployment status in making hiring decisions.