Staff Customer Researcher
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small businesses. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaigns, CRM, and analytics tools.
This role sits on the Customer & Market Insights team within the Strategy department, a growing department at Mailchimp that supports the creation and deployment of corporate strategy and helps guide internal teams on driving business growth.
As a Staff Researcher on our Customer Research team, you will be embedded on one of our strategic initiative cross-functional teams, responsible for elevating the customer voice and ensuring strategic decisions lead with the customer in mind. You listen hard, observe everything, and can skillfully synthesize large amounts of information into actionable insights. You take the lead on complex, high visibility projects, synthesize multiple data sources to tell a holistic story, and adeptly socialize insights across your initiative and to executive audiences.
You will be an experienced researcher who excels in connecting the dots, a deft interviewer, a survey expert, and a persuasive storyteller. You must be comfortable working solo, managing vendors, and collaborating across Mailchimp’s Strategy, Marketing, Product, Customer, and CX & Design teams.
The preferred locations for this position is: the Atlanta or Brooklyn, NY area with remote flex option.
What you’ll do here:
- You will act as end-to-end driver of mixed-methods research to inform initiative strategy (with a focus on GTM, marketing, and product strategy), leveraging surveys, 1st party data, social listening tools, interviews, and other sources
- You will own and maintain an initiative-level research roadmap informed by consistent conversations with initiative leads and be comfortable prioritizing and making tradeoffs accordingly
- You will provide input into critical decisions to help mitigate risk and drive innovation and business growth
- You will build relationships and foster two-way knowledge sharing to build a 360 degree view of the customer related to your initiative with other insights teams such as Customer Research, Competitive Intelligence, Analytics, CX Voice of Customer, Experience/UX Research, and Support Insights
- You will communicate and socialize insights and recommendations within and outside your initiative and up to leadership clearly, effectively, and diplomatically (through reports, presentations, casual conversations, cross-functional meetings, internal newsletters, workshops, emails, etc.)
- You will model these behaviors to other researchers and guide them to improve their abilities
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- 7+ years of experience leading qualitative and quantitative primary research projects (ideally within a product team or product organization)
- Experience with segmentation, persona development, ethnography, market share / sizing, customer journey mapping, messaging / positioning / naming research, and concept testing
- Experience conducting research to inform the discovery phase of the product development lifecycle
- Expertise in writing discussion guides and moderating interviews, designing and fielding surveys, analyzing and visualizing data, and translating findings into strategic frameworks and recommendations
- Experience managing third party vendors (full service agencies, sample providers, etc.)
- Strong oral and written communication skills - ability to present insights to all levels of management in ways that make it easy for stakeholders to understand and act upon
- Strong project management skills - ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously and scope resources, timing, and budget for complex, multi-phased projects
- Strong collaboration skills - ability to identify stakeholders, build cross-functional relationships, facilitate workshops, and work together towards a common goal
- Confidence working with ambiguity, unknown variables, and missing context (and finding ways to bridge those gaps, when necessary)
- You are willing to travel a few times a year (once it is safe and appropriate)
- Bonus: You have a background in or exposure to the software or SaaS space and you’ve worked to support a product team / initiative within the space
At Mailchimp, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We don’t just accept differences, we celebrate them, support them, and hire peeps from a wide variety of backgrounds because it makes our company stronger. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience aligns with what we’re looking for (even if you don’t check every single box), please consider applying!
Mailchimp is an all-in-one marketing platform for growing businesses. Mailchimp empowers millions of customers around the world to start and grow their businesses with world-class marketing technology, award-winning customer support, and inspiring content. Millions of businesses and individuals—from community organizations to Fortune 100 companies—trust Mailchimp to help them connect with their audience with the right message, at the right time, in the right place.
Founded in 2001 and based in Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, London, and Santa Monica, Mailchimp has 1,200+ employees. Through Intuit, we offer employees competitive compensation, best in class perks and benefits. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed. Find Mailchimp on social.
Vaccination Policy: We are requiring that employees who come onsite be vaccinated. Unless prohibited by applicable law, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a requirement for any position at Mailchimp/Intuit that necessitates coming onsite and/or in-person business activity. Qualified applicants who wold like to request an accommodation (exception) on the basis of a qualifying medical condition/disability or sincerely-held religious belief should contact email@example.com.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender (including gender expression and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, weight, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information, or any other factor protected by federal, state or local law. Mailchimp also prohibits harassment of applicants and employees based on any of these protected categories, and complies with all applicable state and federal laws respecting consideration of unemployment status in making hiring decisions.