Department: Product Management
MailChimp is the world’s largest marketing automation platform. More than 15 million people and businesses use MailChimp to design and send 1 billion emails a day. We empower small businesses with a suite of powerful and easy-to-use email, marketing automation, and analytics tools that integrate with hundreds of popular applications and services.
Our Research team helps the company understand the people we’re designing for, what motivates them, and where our apps fit into their lifestyles and workflows. We use surveys, interviews, visits, usability tests, and other methods to study people, products, and the marketplace to understand the context in which MailChimp lives. Our research plays a vital role in prioritizing product decisions, guiding feature development, and designing the customer experience.
We’re looking for a Senior UX Researcher to join the team. An ideal candidate listens hard, observes everything, and can skillfully synthesize large amounts of information into actionable insights. They should be an experienced researcher who’s comfortable working solo, taking lead on small research project teams, and collaborating with MailChimp’s Marketing, Design, and Development teams, among other departments. They must be a highly skilled communicator—an excellent writer, deft interviewer, and diplomatic colleague.
- Lead research projects independently or with a small team of 1-2 researchers, setting the scope, defining project strategy, directing project analysis, guiding the final deliverable, and taking responsibility for deadlines
- Establish a framework for identifying user needs and preferences for new products (e.g. usability testing, competitive analysis, and interviews)
- Determine the strengths and weaknesses of competitor products to help inform MailChimp product development
- Use a variety of research methods—primarily usability testing, interviews, app teardowns, surveys, card sort exercises, and competitive analysis
- Communicate research insights and recommendations across departments clearly, effectively, and diplomatically (through reports, presentations, casual conversations, cross-functional team meetings, internal newsletters, emails, etc.)
- Produce research deliverables (reports, slide decks, etc.) that require minimal editing before they’re ready to share
- 2 or more years experience conducting usability testing on software or websites (on both desktop and mobile devices)
- Experience leading research projects and working with small teams
- Experience with competitive analysis (e.g. SWOT analysis, market opportunity analysis) and product/website teardowns
- Experience managing 3rd party vendors
- Experience conducting and moderating interviews
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong cross-team collaboration skills
- Ability to translate research findings into actions and recommendations, while considering company and product goals
- Experience/knowledge of e-commerce is preferred
- International research experience is a plus
- Willingness to travel 2-3 times a year
MailChimp is a founder-owned, highly profitable, and private company located in the heart of Atlanta. We offer our 500+ employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed.
We love our hometown and support sustainable urban renewal. Our office is in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Atlanta Beltline. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
MailChimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.