What is digital customer experience?
A digital CX is the perception of your digital brand as customers and potential clients engage with your brand online. Digitizing the customer experience enables you to streamline sales, marketing, and customer service.
At the basic level, customer experience is how your customers experience your brand when interacting with it. A digital customer experience includes how customers experience your brand online through your website, emails, social media, and other digital channels.
A digital marketing CX focuses on engaging customers throughout the entire customer journey and various customer touch points across channels.
Simply put, the digital customer experience refers to how your customers interact with your brand across digital channels, including social media, your website, email, chatbots, and even digital ads.
Some brands are purely digital from the start. These include e-commerce companies, software, mobile apps, and so forth. However, some companies must invest in digitizing customer experiences when they take their businesses online. For example, a brick-and-mortar company may begin selling products online through an e-commerce website. Any brands that interact with customers online should focus on modernizing the customer experience.
Examples of digital customer experiences
Digital CX doesn't only refer to B2C businesses. Instead, it can apply to any industry that serves customers or clients online. Take a look at the following examples to understand how the digital customer experience works for various types of businesses:
- Banks. Banks provide digital experiences by allowing customers to open accounts, check balances, and perform other financial transactions. Customers may also download an app to manage their money on the go.
- Education. Students can take online or hybrid classes and sign into a portal to access coursework with tracked information about their grades. They also have the ability to send direct messages to teachers and have online meetings.
- Retail. Online and brick-and-mortar stores can interact with customers online to attract business and promote sales. Retail stores can use various marketing techniques and channels to guide customers through the customer journey and interact with them at each touch point.
Why is digital customer experience important?
Digital customer experience is crucial for any business with an online presence. Even if you don't use your website for sales, you should still provide a good customer experience. Unfortunately, the customer journey can be complex, especially when using on and offline channels. Your digital CX should guide clients through the customer journey to facilitate purchases and lead generation.
A robust customer experience strategy offers your business the following advantages:
- Improved customer loyalty. Client retention is crucial for all businesses because it’s more affordable to maintain your existing clients than invest in new ones. An effective digital CX strategy can improve customer satisfaction, loyalty, and retention by guiding clients through the customer journey without friction. Once clients have a good experience with your brand, they’re more likely to become repeat buyers.
- Increased engagement. Digitizing the customer experience on multiple channels can improve conversion rates and increase engagement with your brand. The more satisfied customers are with your digital experience, the more likely they are to purchase your products.