Connect to Google Analytics and enable tracking to see how visitors interact with your landing page or website. After you send an analytics-enabled email, you can view the results in your Mailchimp and Google Analytics reports.
In this article, you'll learn how to find Mailchimp data in your Google Analytics account.
Before you start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- In your Google Analytics account, the ad campaigns, affiliate links, search engines, and other sources that send visitors to your landing page or website are collectively labeled as “campaigns.” To narrow the search, you'll probably need to sort and filter campaigns to show only emails.
- For more detailed explanations and troubleshooting assistance, visit Google's Analytics support page.
Find Mailchimp email campaigns in Google Analytics
To find your Mailchimp email campaign in Google Analytics, follow these steps.
- Log into your Google Analytics account.
- In the Reports menu, click Acquisition.
- Click Campaigns and choose All Campaigns.
- Browse the campaigns and click your Mailchimp campaign's title to open the report.
In Google Analytics, each tracked Mailchimp campaign has a unique title, and it's typically formatted in one of two ways.
Mailchimp Campaign ID-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_MM_DD_YYYY Mailchimp Campaign ID-Campaign_Name_MM_DD_YYY
Sort and filter campaigns
You may not see your Mailchimp campaigns on the first All Campaigns results page because Google Analytics provides so much data in this table. To make your campaign easier to find, sort and filter the results.
To sort and filter your email campaigns in Google Analytics, follow these steps.
- Set up a secondary dimension to sort the campaigns by medium. Medium is a category that describes how visitors navigate to your site, like email, paid web search, or referral.
- Create a filter to display emails only. The filter will narrow down the results list to only include campaigns whose medium is email.
- Browse the emails for your campaign title, and click the title to view the report.
View campaign report
The Google Analytics campaign report will display the number of website sessions that your Mailchimp campaign generated, session duration, page views per session, and more.
View purchase data
If your Google Analytics account is set up to track purchases or conversions, your campaign report will also include purchase data on the report's Explorer tab. Depending on how you set up tracking, your statistics will appear in the Ecommerce section.
View engagement data for your Mailchimp landing page or website
If you’ve enabled Google Analytics on your Mailchimp website or landing page, there are a number of ways to view report data in your Google Analytics account. For example, your site content report shows pageviews, bounce rates, and other engagement data.
To view Mailchimp website or landing page site data in Google Analytics, follow these steps.
- Log in to your Google Analytics account.
- In the Reports menu, click Behavior.
- Click Site Content.
- Click All Pages.
- Search for your landing page or website URL.
- Adjust the date range as needed.
For more information on how to view site data in Google Analytics, check out the Google Analytics Help Center.